Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What I'm Reading Wednesdays

In the past week or two, I have read:
78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why It Just Might
Although this book was a bit discouraging to read, it also helped me a lot. The author (the founder of an independent publishing house) encourages the writer to give their writing a good hard look. Sometimes that's all it takes!

I also re-listened to The Kings of Clonmel by John Flanagan. Although I wish he had started on a new series after book six. The eight book is an enjoyable read. But this book, like the third Into the Icebound Land this book is not strictly about Will, the main character. It also deeply explores the relationship between Halt and Horace. Told in Mr. Flanagan's easy to read manor, I would highly recommend The Rangers Apprentice series to any and everyone between the ages of 11 and 99!

Cinder a debut novel by Marissa Meyer is a thoroughly good read. I read it in one night, after going to bed at nine, not planing on reading anything. Then I saw Cinder, sitting on my shelf. It kept me up until I read the words THE END! If you like re-told fairy tales, but also don't mind a good sci-fi or dystopian, this book is a great choice for you.

I didn't expect much from The Demon King by Cinda Willams Chima. After reading her debut series , The Heir Series, I had decided not to read this b00k. Then, one of my best friends came up to me, raving about it. So of course, I had to cheek it out. The book far surpassed my highest hopes for it. Which just goes to show you, don't write off other authors too soon. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the Seven Realms Series!

Uncommon Criminals by New York Times Bestselling author, Ally Carter wasn't as good as the first Heist book, Heist Society. In all fairness, I actually bought Heist Society, which is a testimony to how much I liked it. I mean, what's not to love? Smart, talented, teen girl thief, cute, caring, millionaire sidekick, inter-pol surveillance, and air ducts? Although this book wasn't as good as the first, it was still well worth the read.

And last, but certainly not least, a book I mentioned on Monday, Revision and Self-Editing by James Scott Bell. Although I've never read any of the authors fiction, this non-fiction book on re-writing has helped me enormously. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who has finished their first draft.

Congrats Blogger! You have successfully used up the first hour and a half of my morning.
Happy writing everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm stopping by from the Campaign. Nice to see another teen, here!!
    Tag, you're it! You've been tagged in a game of 11 Questions being passed around by the Platform-Building campaigners. You can pick up your questions at this link: http://writeskatedream-jmckendry.blogspot.com/2012/02/11-random-questions-go.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for tagging me, Jess! I hoped someone would.

      Delete
  2. I'm also from the campaign saying hi. I've been seeing that Cinder book get around quite a bit, but I admit, it's always the writing and editing books that get me going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great selections. I'm coveting CINDER the most. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and I'm a fellow campaigner. I tried several times to leave a comment with my wordpress account and blogger won't let me. Now when I use my blogger account, the captcha is a pain to read and match properly.
      Other than that it's a pleasure to meet you. :)

      Delete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.