Monday, March 5, 2012

Mind the Writer Mondays

Happy Monday! I, for one, wish the weekend wasn't over, but oh well.
So, last Monday, we had a guest post my one of my writing friends, Hannah. You can cheek that post out here.
In fact, it's probably a good thing I didn't post last week because I hadn't touched my manuscript at all. Thankfully, I've gotten a good deal more done this week. In fact, I finished my second draft. This is not as impressive as it sounds.
When I finished my first draft, I made a list of things I wanted to change. Concrete things, but little things. Changing the beginning and the way a few characters feel about each other. Nothing huge.
Now, I'm taking a break from actual writing and working on something that was suggested in James Scott Bell's book Revision & Self-Editing. He suggests that before starting major revisions, you should make what he calls a scene chart.
I'm doing this on an excel sheet, and it looks something like this:

Scene Name
The Funeral

What Happens in the Scene
Zeldea is buried

Who is in the Scene
Jemma, Miken

What's the Point of the Scene
Sets up Main Story Problem

Word Count
450

Page Numbers
1-2


I'm finding that doing this is really helpful. Especially the column What's the Point of the Scene. This can be as simple as Adds to Story Problem to as complicated as Deepens SP (Sub-Plot) Duke/Sets up next scene/ Major Set back to MG (Main Goal.) It really helps you to see the fibers of your story and how each sub-plot and character enhances the story. When I first started working on this scene chart, I saw that I had three small sub-plots I hadn't even known about.
One more thing. If you like the idea of a scene chart, I would suggest starting and adding each scene as you write it. Going back through my book and charting the scenes get really boring really fast.
So my goal for the upcoming week is to finish the scene chart and maybe start developing my theme in more detail.
What are your goals for the week? I'd love to hear them!
Happy Writing!

4 comments:

  1. yay for goals! my goals for this week are to finish four small freelance projects, send my manuscript off to betas, and to write 4k of my new book. hoo-ray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I can't imagine having such large goals for one week!

      Delete
  2. this is a really good idea! I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing this for my current 2 wips. It helps immensely.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.