Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What I'm Reading Wednesdays

I can't believe the school week is half over already! Lucky, I've still been able to squeeze in a few books.
The first was Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. I read this book after three separate librarians (Yes, I exchange book titles with librarians, Be jealous!) told me about it, and -- to be honest -- the book didn't quite live up to my expectations. The beginning was predictable and I felt that the main character was a bit shallow and the supporting character's motives didn't seem clear at all. One minute he would be completely rude, the next all concerned for her health. Normally, I would think he liked her, but you see him kissing another character at one point. I will probably read the next book, but this one wasn't anything to write home about.

After that, I read
Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass. This book is my favorite writing book! I've read it three times and at some point during the book each time, I've either gotten an idea for something that should happen or realized an area that needed fixed in my novel. If you haven't read this book, read it. If you haven't read it in 2012, re-read it.

I've been putting off reading Wither by Lauren DeStefano for a long time. I first saw the cover a month or so after it came out and decided for some reason that I didn't like it and wasn't going to read the book. This just goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover, because I loved this story! Thankfully, because I waited so long to read this, I can get my hands on the next book fairly fast, as it came out a few weeks ago and is already climbing USA today lists.

I starting reading Sarah Dessen right after she published Along for the Ride and although that book is still my favorite, Just Listen was very good too. Although this book didn't have as much romance as some of her other books, it was still sweet and touching. I think Annabel Greene might just have become my favorite Sarah Dessen heroine, but Eli is still the nicest guy.

What's the Best/Worst book you've read this week? I'd love to know!
Happy Writing!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I haven't read or heard of those, but Wither looks interesting and since your review is good, I'm going to keep an eye out for it.
    I recently read a book that had such promise and just disappointed...I can't even pinpoint why. Blech.
    Thanks for the suggestions here and also for popping by my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was planning on reading Ruby Red, good thing I read this before I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got Donald Maas' The Breakout Novelist. Learning a lot from.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.