Friday, April 6, 2012

Fridays with First Timers: The Selection by Kiera Cass

Can you believe the week is almost over already? My house is getting ready for hosting Easter Lunch and Egg Hunt after church on Sunday. While trying to get the yard ready, our lawnmower broke. For the second time this spring. My dad is just a *bit* frustrated.
On another note, if you give the blog a good poke this morning, a few new things might shake out. First, up top here, ^ you'll see I've added two new pages. I would suggest checking at least one of those out. I've also started a new Saturday segment called Sneaky YA Agent Stalking Saturdays. This is pretty much what it sounds like, and I'll have the first post tomorrow or newt Saturday.

Now, on to the spotlight!
This Friday, we're spotlighting The Selection by Kiera Cass. This book cover is simply gorgeous and I've been seeing it all over the place lately. If I'm not mistaken, The Selection movie cast is being chosen right now! How exciting for Ms. Cass.

So, a little bit about her:

I was born and raised in South Carolina, a proud child of the 80's.
In 2007, my world was shaken by a local tragedy, and I took it pretty hard. Over the course of the following year, I tried a lot of things to get myself together resulting in me sitting down to write a story where my character had to deal with my problems so I wouldn't have to.
Once I started writing, I felt like an idiot. How had I not known I loved this all along? Seriously.

In early 2010 (when my son was just two months old), I started querying The Selection and was lucky enough to find a wonderful agent in Elana Roth. Sometimes I still can't believe she took a chance on me. After a few months, Erica Sussman at HarperTeen snapped up The Selection, and it is slated to come out April 24, 2012.
I currently live in Blacksburg, VA with my hubby and son and spend my free time playing on YouTube and twitter and eating cake.

And, about the book:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

The Selection comes out April 24th! I don't know about you, but I can't wait.

Have a great Easter weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, that sounds good! I'll have to check it out. The cover is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome cover! I love covers - sorry to say that I judge a book by it's cover. Of course, I have to like the description as well, but if it has an awesome cover, that could clinch it for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the spotlight! Harper is a great publisher. And can I just say, this is the most gorgeous cover I've ever seen? Absolutely stunning. I'd pick it up off a bookshelf in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is amazing! One of my favorite books of the year!! I've been following along with the movie casting as well, it's always exciting to see a book you love come to life!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.