Monday, April 16, 2012

Mind the Writer Monday

Happy Monday!
Late Sunday afternoon, I realized that I had promised the first Sneaky Agent Stalker post on Saturday.  As you can see, it didn't happen.  Sorry.  Maybe next Saturday.  Maybe not.  We'll see.
So, this post is about two things.

The Waiting Game:
I understood writers had to wait a lot.  Just not as it applied to me.  Until a few days ago.
If you look at the bottom of the blog, you'll see an over-sized button labelled "NextGen."  That is a free online Christian teen writing conference.  I "attended" last August and plan on doing so again.  Last month, NextGen organized a few teen critique groups.  I'm in one of those.  A few days ago, I submitted my first chapter for critiquing.  I feel like I've checked the computer every five seconds since then to see if anyone has posted a critique of my first chapter.  Maybe I'm not cut out to be an author.  These few days of waiting have been killing me.  So, are you playing the waiting game?  What are you waiting on?


First Draft Race:
I'm working on the first draft of two books right now.  One is long hand, one is on the computer, and I love them both.  I just started both of these at the end of March/ beginning of April and their collective word count is about seven thousand.
I think I'm a pretty slow writer.  If I really try, I can crank out two thousand words in a day, but I can't do much else.  And I don't do two K every day.  I'm lucky if I sit down to do that much once a week.  It really just depends if that day is a writing day.  On a writing day, I'm committed to writing a significant amount that day.  Between 1 and 2 K.  But on a non-writing day, I might only get as much as five hundred.  If you're lucky.
Take this week.  On Wednesday, I participated in a Word War.  I wrote just over 2,000 words.  I haven't touched my manuscript since.  But the week before, I wrote about 300 words every day.  Which gave me about 2100 words for that week.  So, sometimes my writing is like a sprint to the end of the next scene and sometimes it's like the tortoise, slow and steady.
What about you?

5 comments:

  1. I'm waiting to find out how I did in a contest. :)

    For me when I write, I sit down and can do a whole chapter (anywhere from 1-2k). And that's if I'm determined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really depends on how much I love my idea.

    If I love my book, I'll get a couple thousand words a day done. But if I don't really believe in my book, or like it, I'm lucky to get any writing done.

    (This might seem like a stupid question, but what does k mean? I keep noticing people using it and I'm kinda confued)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, it's not a stupid question at all. K stands for thousand. Like I could say 1-2 thousand or 1-2K. And I find K to just be faster.
      ~Sarah Faulkner

      Delete
    2. Thanks for explaining. :)

      Delete
  3. working on drafts of two books sounds fun - that way you can go back and forth when ideas start to wane :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.