Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What I'm Reading Wednesday

I haven't done one of these posts in two weeks, so I'm not going to cover all the books I read during that time. Here's a hint:  It's a lot of books.  Like more then ten.
So today, I'm just going to do six and we'll do the rest next week.

The first book I finished after the last What I'm Reading Wednesday was Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. I talked about this book a few weeks ago when I was in mid-rant about Macbeth.  To any English teachers reading this:   Dandelion Wine was a great book by a well known and skillful story teller and should be put on your reading lists.   Summer reading lists would be even better.  To the rest of you, if you haven't read this book and you're on the prowl for a satisfying classic, go to your used book store and find a battered paper back of this book.  I don't think you'll regret it.

And then I read Powder Monkey by Paul Dowswell.  This book was a blend between Billy Bud, Sailor by Herman Melville and the Horatio Hornblower movies.  Although little bit dark, as per that time period in England's History, I still really enjoyed the story of this boys life aboard a navy ship.  Not a must read, but still a good book.

After that, I read Purge by Sarah Darer Littman.  Wow.  That's about all I can say about this book.  In my Goodreads account, I have three bookshelves; Non-Fiction, Made Me Think, and Five Stars.  Purge was on BOTH of the latter.  This book follows Janie as she struggles against her bulimia in a home for troubled girls.  It's good.

Next, I listened to This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen on CD.  I'd heard a whole lot about this book and was a little let down.  Safe to say, Along for the Ride is still my favorite Dessen book with Lock and Key a close second.  But I've read enough Dessen books to start to see Hallmarks of her style.  Have any of you notice some of the same stuff in Sarah Dessen books?

And then I read Final Warning by James Paterson.  This book is the fourth in the Maximum Ride novels and I liked it just as much as the rest of the books so far.  I love the characters and Patterson keeps the action coming.

Minutes after I finished that, I started the next Maximum Ride book, Max.  I liked this one better then Final Warning, but they were both good.  I've said is before and I'll say it again, if you haven't read these books, what are you waiting for?  I'm really liking them.

Come back tomorrow for the kick off of the first ever Teen Ten Page!  Yeah, I'm excited and I hope we get a ton of entries.
Have a great day and see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.