Wednesday, April 4, 2012

What I'm Reading Wednesdays

Happy Wednesday! I feel like I haven't posted in forever. In fact, I was really close to posting yesterday but I didn't really have anything to post about. There is now a long, rambling post on rewriting buried somewhere in my unpublished posts. But, on to the books!

First, I read The Art of War for Writers by James Scott Bell. I haven't actually read any of his fiction, but his non-fiction writing books are great. As you might know, I don't really buy books very often because I can get them from the library for free and I don't have the kind of money it would take to fuel my reading. But I am very much considering putting this book and Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Mass on my Birthday Wish List. It was that good!

Then, over the weekend while I was sick, I read The Always War by Margret
Peterson Haddix. This book started great. It's a 200 page read, which I find perfect for Sunday afternoons. I read along happily . . . until I came to the last 15 pages. 15 pages that should have been 50. Or 75. The ending defiantly needed more. As a SMALL SPOILER this book ends in a revolution. A revolution that took about five pages from beginning to end. You can read whole seven book series on revolutions (Garth Nix books) so for me five pages didn't come close to cutting it.

Then, for school on Monday, I finished The Tragedy of Macbeth. Excuse me while I say "Thank goodness that's over." It wasn't that I completely hated it. I thought it had good themes and ideas about manhood and power. But really, it's a play. It was meant to be watched and heard, not read. So why do high school English teachers across the world force this script down the throats of teens? I honestly think the books I enjoy the most are the ones I pick out for myself, even if I pick them out from classics. For example right now I'm also reading Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury. I'm really enjoying it and I think part of the reason is that when I read it I don't try to pick apart each chapter and try to figure out what I'll need to know for the 20 question test on Monday.
I wonder how many Shakespeare lovers I lost during that paragraph?
Have a great Wednesday!

5 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's some deep reading!!! I need to ck out Bell's books....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say from my limited reading that Bell's books are some of the best.
      ~Sarah F.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that we're done with Macbeth too! It was okay, but it was probably my least favorite of the plays we studied.

    Plus the movie was gross!

    You are lucky you didn't get to see the end.

    I mean, it was good acting, it was just gory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was kind of bummed that I didn't get to see the climax, but it did take place during a war and I wasn't looking forward to that.
      I actually thought it was a better play then Henry V. It had higher concepts and ideas.
      ~Sarah F.

      Delete
  3. I want to read The Art of War for writers, but my library doesn't have it! Or any of James Scott Bell's nonfiction books! Grr.
    I am a Shakespeare lover, but I get what you said. Though anytime I get a movie version of one of his plays, I have to use the subtitles, 'cause I can't understand what the actors are saying :P

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.