Thursday, May 10, 2012

Teens can Write Too! Thursday and Winners

No, this isn't an author interview.  Sorry.  It is, however, a blog chain post, which should be loads of fun.  Today I'm taking my turn in the Teens Can Write Too May blog chain.  Check out the rest of this month's Teens can Write Too blog chain at their blog!
The topic for this month's blog chain is
Why do you write?

I know.  Can you believe they only give you one blog post?  I'll try to keep it short.

So, why do I write?  Well, for as long as I can remember, I've loved books.  My Mom, Dad and two older sisters all read to me when I couldn't read myself.  Now, I read close to 150 books a year.  And so, the next logical step was to make books of my own.  And so that's what I started to do.

     Also, when I was younger, I had lots of imaginary friends.  My older siblings always made fun of me for that.  They told me I was delusional.  I almost fell off my unicorn.  Then I figured out that as long as I wrote down my imaginary friends instead of just hanging out with them in the backyard, my siblings didn't make fun of me.  In fact, they could finally also imagine my friends.

     And once I started, I couldn't stop.  Sure, it was on and off for a while.  I would write three chapters and then put down the story.  But I was writing.  I continued to write on and off between the ages of six and thirteen and then I had a creative writing teacher who demanded that everyone in class had to write two chapters a month.  That's when I finally started to write seriously.  I finished a novel and started two more.  I began to read books on writing.  And now I don't think I could ever stop.
A funny thing about being in high school is, talking to invisible friends stops being cute and starts looking insane.  If you have any idea why, please clue me in.  Where as writing a book still seems to be cool.  Although I'm pretty sure adults still see publishing deals as cute but delusional.  Again, no clue why. . .
So, what about you?  Why do you write?  I'd love to hear.




Here, have a trophy!
Teen Ten Page Winner(s)

Emily Russell!


Congratulations, Emily.

We didn't get a lot of entries for this contest.  Maybe there'll be more next time.

11 comments:

  1. Good reasons. The delusional are more often visionaries. If you aren't slightly delusional, you'll never get anywhere.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!
    I love how you readily admit how strange (in an awesome way, obviously) us writers are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post--you have some great, clear reasons for writing. I like how you talked about your overall process of becoming a serious writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent!! I write because I love to share "my characters and worlds" with others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay me! :D I get a trophy and everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 150 books a year! Wow. I write because I love to create stories. I've been doing it my whole life. It's just a part of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post! Ditto what Alegra said.

    I myself wonder why those with imaginary friends are seen as insane after a certain age. 'tis odd, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mega!

    I must say that I haven't read much of your blog until now, but I went back and read quite a bit of the posts. Awesome blog!

    Minion

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome to see another teen writer support blog! I'll be stopping by more often, for sure.

    As for your post, it's very well done. Concise, clear, and I couldn't agree with your last paragraph more. Just sayin'!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How dare they make you fall of your unicorn? That's just appallingly narrow-minded of them! (Mind you, you don't want to be too open-minded, as your brains fall out and the zombies get them.)

    As they say, writers are just people who couldn't let go of their invisible friends... I prefer 'invisible' to 'imaginary' ... I figure if they were purely figments of my imagination they wouldn't yell at me quite so much when I kill them off.

    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.