Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What I'm Reading Wednesday!

Good news!  The week is half way over!  Bad news.  You still have the rest of the week.  Sorry.  But the weekend is on it's way!
I'm going to dive right into the books today.

First up is The Gray Wolf Throne by Cinda Williams Chima.  I had this book on hold for weeks before I got it, but it was worth the wait.  Now I just have to last until October until the next book.  I felt the character, Han Alister, changed quite a bit over the course of this book, which I didn't always like.  Also, this book did feel a bit more rushed then the rest of the books, that might be because I read it in one day. . .

Then I read the Christian Fiction book, DragonSpell by Donita K. Pual.  I don't normally read a lot of christian  fiction because I think they tend to be preachy, but I really liked this one.  The way it portrayed God an Jesus was an aspect of God that I'd never thought about before, and this book really challenged me to think about it. The book was also completely clean for any age, although there was some violence and one character represented the devil, which some people might not like.  But I did.  I'm just sad my library doesn't have the rest of this series.

The next book I finished was The Catcher in the Rye.  As you might be able to guess, I read this for school.  If any of my readers know why this book is a classic, please clue me in!  I don't see it.  The book is about a depressed teenage boy with a dirty mouth wandering around NYC while his parents think he's at school.  Instead he's drinking alcohol while under age and flirting with girls he doesn't really like.  Yes, this is the perfect book to force upon thousands of high schoolers.  Just perfect.  Holden Caulfield is such a great role model.

Thankfully, after that ordeal, I was able to pick up Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder.  I really love the main character in these books.  She is just such an awesome heroine.  It's like Mara from Mara Daughter of the Nile and  Emma from Emma.  But better.  Unfortunately, this series is sometimes a bit graphic, both violently and sexually.  Not a lot, you understand, just some.  Think Graceling.  If you're okay with that stuff, I would recommend the first book in the series, Potion Study and the book I read after Magic Study, Fire Study.  All good books in my opinion.



And that brings us to Hacking Timbuktu by Stephen Davies.  I already read his book, Outlaw, and although I liked it better, I thought they were both really good.  I mean, kids from England in the African Desert?  Who wouldn't love?  And a hacker kid who parkours?  I just don't see where you could go wrong.


And that wraps it up for today.  Stop by tomorrow to see a blog chain post and the winners from the Teen Ten Page contest.  I'd also like to point out that since my last post, Inklined has hit 100 page views and 30 followers!  I'm happy!  Although when we get to 50 followers, it will mean that I host another Teen Ten Page contest!
Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I love the DragonSpell series!! They truly are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Gray Wolf Throne sounds like a good read. Will check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.