Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What I'm Reading Wednesday

Wow!  We're already half way through the week.  I didn't post last Wednesday, so I'm a bit behind.  Get ready.

First up, Zeke Bartholomew:  Superspy! by Jason Pinter.  Great boy read or read aloud for younger sibs.  Who doesn't love spies, action, lava, and plots to overthrow the world?  The story follows Zeke Bartholomew (go figure) as he is accidentally mistaken for his evil spy kid neighbor.  From there he proceeds to fall off a bridge, burn a house down, grapple into a plane, jump out of a plane, and do some dirty work in the towns sewer system.  Meanwhile, losing two pairs of jeans.  All in all, a fun, lighthearted adventure novel.

Then I read Replication by Jill Williamson.   Amazing book.  It left me thinking, like all truly great books should.  After I finished the last page, I had all sorts of questions about what is right and wrong with human tests, stem cell research and cloning.  One thing I love about this book is that Mrs. Williamson doesn't force her opinion about these controversial topics onto all her readers.  Instead she shows God's love for all his creations and lets the readers draw their own conclusion.  Although this book covers some deep and controversial stuff, I really enjoyed Martyr and Abby's story, relationship and (especially) Martyr's introduction to God's love.

Then, I got my hands on a copy of The Selection by Kiera Cass.   Yippy!  This book has only been out for a few weeks and it's already zooming up the bestsellers list.   There's a reason for that.  My mom (who stole this book from me before I had a chance to read it) call The Selection "Hunger Games, Miss America style."  I don't now how she intended that to sound, but for me, I just wanted to read it all the more.  And I did read it.  In one particularly short Saturday.  You should read this book.

After that, I read the seventh Maximum Ride book, Angle by James Patterson.  This book wasn't my favorite, but it was still good.  I really can't wait read the next one!  I've already talked about the Max series in several posts, so if you want, you can read more here.

And last but not least, I read City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare.  Yes, that's two books off my to-read this  in just a few days.  This Mortal Interment book made me cry.  I've talked about how hard it is for a book to make me cry before.  The relationship between Claire and Jace was just as tangled as ever but when you bring in Sebastian, there is no end to the craziness.  No end.  So yes, this book was a great addition to the series and I can't wait for the next one!

What about you?  What books have you read this week?  I'd love to hear.
Also, be sure to stop by here again tomorrow for a special surprise!  I'm excited and you should be too!

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, can't wait to find that spy one for my son. He would love it!!
    Thanks for the tips on the other books. :-) I just finished reading the first Stephanie Plum book and am now reading some Peaches book by an author I've never heard of. It's outside my usual genre, I think, but so far it's fairly good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! These books all look great, especially The Selection. I'm going to see if I can order that now. Thanks for the post!

    notebookfromtheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.