Saturday, August 25, 2012

Agents Stalker Saturday: Scott Hoffman

Contrary to what you might have been thinking, I did not drop off the face of the planet.  Instead, I joined many of the blog writers I get so frustrated with, and forgot to post.  For almost two months.  Let me just say I'm sorry.  I'm sorry.

Oh good!  Now that that's over with, I can get on with the post.  I plan to return to my normal blogging schedule of 2 to 4 posts a week.  Hopefully the school year will continue to bring back some semblance of routine and I will continue to blog regularly.  If I start to slip, feel free to bombard me with all sorts of comments and e-mails begging for posts.  Those would make my day.

Okay, so awhile ago, I added a little something to the Weekly Calendar in the Side Bar.  That something was called Agent Stalker Saturdays.  You might be wondering what that is, because I've never done one.  That's all about to change.
Feel free to use this image in your own Agent Stalker Saturday  post.  Just link back to me .

So what YA literary agent am I going to spotlight today?  An agent near the top of my "to be queried list," Scott Hoffman.
Scott is a literary agent at Folio Literary Management.  This agency comes recommend on Preditors and Editors, a website I highly suggest you check out if you're thinking about sending out query letters.

About Scott:  A refugee from the world of politics, Scott Hoffman is one of the founding partners of Folio Literary Management, LLC.

He has served as Vice-chairman of the Board of Directors of SEARAC (the only nationwide advocacy agency for Southeast Asian-Americans), a Board Member of Fill Their Shelves, Inc. (a charitable foundation that provides books to children in sub-Saharan Africa) and a member of the Metropolitan Opera’s Young Associates Steering Committee.

Before entering the world of publishing, he was one of the founding partners of Janus-Merritt Strategies, a Washington, DC strategic consulting firm. He holds an MBA from New York University’s Leonard N. Stern School of Business, and a BA from the College of William and Mary.

About Folio Lit.:  Folio Literary Management places both fiction and non-fiction with major publishers throughout the U.S. and around the world. We represent many first-time authors, some of whom have gone on to become bestsellers and major award-winners. We also represent many well-established authors, and work closely with them to take their careers to new heights. Folio is proud to offer a full complement of literary services in a changing publishing landscape, and provide our clients with access to marketing services, website development, and media training that it takes to make each book a success.

What he's looking for:
  • Experts in their fields, looking to integrate a book into their business;
  • People who have an incredible story to tell, and who want to change the world;
  • Books about business, history, or politics.
  • Beautifully-written literary fiction, regardless of the subject;
  • Spiritual or religious-themed fiction and nonfiction (it doesn’t matter what religion);
  • Books that can hook me on concept alone;
  • Dark, dark novels. The darker the better;
  • Any book about a time, place, or group of people that hasn’t been extensively written about;
  • Political, historical, or science-based nonfiction, particularly from academics;
  • Excellent SF or Fantasy that crosses over into the world of literary fiction;
  • Heartbreaking memoirs;
  • Website or blog-based books;
  • Drop-dead funny nonfiction;
  • (I’ll probably regret this, but…) First novels. There’s nothing better than the feeling of telling an author you’ve just sold his or her first book.
Why I would like him to represent me:
  1. He comes from a well known agency.
  2. From what I've seen of his Bio., he has a fun personality.
  3. He states that he represents fantasy and YA, the genres I write.
  4. He says he would represent religious themed fiction.  I have a high concept Christian Fiction idea I've been mulling over.
  5. He likes first novels.  To someone who hasn't been published, this looks pretty great!
How to submit to Scott:
  There is a query from you can fill out here.

Have a great weekend.  See you here next week!


All information was gathered from the Folio Literary Management website.  For more information, go there or Literary Rambles, a MG and YA publishing blog.


3 comments:

  1. Yay you're back!! I wondered where you had gone....

    Ooh, Scott sounds like he might be a good fit for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie! Glad you liked the post. :)
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. Awesome post! Lately I have been trying desperately to find agents to add to my 'agents to take into consideration' list. Scott might be added to that list! I'd have to research him more, but he sounds good for me.

    Great to have you back, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.