Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Author's Day Thursday: Paulina Czarnecki

Guess what?  Tomorrow is Friday!  Yippy.  :)  The great things about three day weekends is that the week seems even shorter and it's the weekend before you know it.

So, I'd like to introduce Paulina Czarnecki!  (How was that for a transition, eh?)

Paulina is a teen writer/blogger and she's here today for an interview.  Let's get started!


Hi Paulina!
Hi, Sarah! I'm excited to be interviewed for Inklined!

When did you start writing?
In second grade, my teacher stapled together a couple of sheets of paper and told us to write a book. I wrote a Nancy Drew knockoff that had something to do with a cave and rubies... I think. I've been in love ever since. :)

How fun!  My first attempt at writing was a kidnapping mystery.  And when did you know you wanted to be an author?
I found a book by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes at the library, and it was tagged "teen author." That's the first moment I actually realized I could become published. I honestly don't know if I even thought about it before then.

Cool.  And what does your writing process look like?
First of all, I have to have every single little detail planned out--I'm definitely a plotter, not a pantser--although I'm trying to relax that a little bit with my next book. Then I crank the whole thing out, during NaNoWriMo or something similar. I set it aside, re-brainstorm, and then rewrite it. Revising, editing. Haven't gotten to the "publishing" yet. Yet. :D

I really admire NaNoWriMos.  I'm thinking about doing it this year.  Do you like it?
I think that NaNoWriMo is a great way to get all of your ideas out without worrying about the details. Then you can go back, check what works and what doesn't, and how to revise.

Alright!  Well, although you haven't been published yet, are there any agents or publishing houses you would love to represent you?
Well, there's the obvious HarperCollins and Simon & Schuster dreams... I also have a couple of agents saved on file for when I query. Natalie Lakosil caught my eye when she said in an interview that she sympathizes with teen writers who want to get published, and I think it would be awesome if she'd represent me! But I haven't gotten quite that far yet.

Yeah, Simon & Schuster is my #1 dream publisher.  What are a few of your favorite books or authors?
I love the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (of course) and James Patterson's Maximum Ride series. I'm also a huge fan of Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush Hush series, and I really love all of Sarah Dessen's romance novels, my favorite being The Truth About Forever.

I really love the Max series too.  I'm also an avid Sarah Dessen reader, but I haven't read The Truth About Forever yet.  I guess I'll put in on my to-read list.



If you could be any fictional character for a day, who would you be?
Max, from James Patterson's Maximum Ride series. She has wings. I think flying would be just about the best feeling ever...

I think flying is a dream of everyone.  :)  I think being Angel for a day would defiantly be an eye opening experience.  If you could meet anyone in the world from any point in history, who would it be?
Hmmm, that's a hard one... I think I'd like to meet my great-grandfather. He was in a resistance army during World War II, got arrested, and died in a concentration camp... He was a brave man and I think it would be nice to talk to him.

Wow!  That's an amazing story.  Speaking of stories, can you describe your latest manuscript for us?
Sure! It's titled On the Line and it's about 85, 000 words long. Here's the "official" blurb:

Blaze Houston is a sixteen-year-old Shadow Walker, trained as a mercenary spy to walk the line between right and wrong–though she shies away from “wrong.” Her home, the futuristic Continent, has been drowned in deadly violence for almost a hundred years; the causes for war are shady and official excuses weak. When a Shadow Master, Josiah Flint, barely escapes with his life after mentioning an assignment to finally end the civil war, Blaze is suspicious. After all, Shadow Walkers (even surly middle-aged ones) should be hard to kill. She recruits Wolf Morrison, a good-looking, sarcastic, infuriatingly logical teenage thief to give the mission her own shot. After false leads and adrenaline-filled infiltrations, dangerous encounters and heart pounding near-death experiences, Wolf and Blaze encounter a man so selfish, so powerful, so evil he causes history to be rewritten… But can they overcome his atrocities when they’re far from perfect themselves?

If you want to find out more, my manuscript has its own page on my blog at http://paulinaczarnecki.wordpress.com/my-book/

That sounds like a really great premise.  I know how hard blurbs can be to write.  I think you did great!  But, what's your least favorite part of writing?
Ugh... Editing. Really looking into the makeup of each sentence kills me. :) 

Seriously?  I love editing.  I have a hard time doing it for long stretches, but I love all the ideas you get to make your book better!  So then, I have to ask, what's your favorite part of writing?
Revising. I love being able to take the story apart, fix what's broken, add in something a little extra, put it back together and see how much better it is. It's the perfect combination of writing and editing.

That funny that your favorite and least favorite part of writing both come after the first draft.  Maybe when I say I love editing, I really mean revision.  I think of them as the same thing.
Alright, well, thanks so much for the interview!  Anything else you want to say?
Thanks for having me on your blog! And if anyone wants to read more about me or my work in progress, I have my own page at http://paulinaczarnecki.wordpress.com/.

Be sure to check out Paulina's blog!  Have a great Thursday. Don't forget to enter the Teen Ten Page Contest and vote on the Teens' Top Ten Nominations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.