Sunday, November 4, 2012

NaNoWriMoing Day 4!



“Anyone who is going to be a writer knows enough at 15 to write several novels.”
—May Sarton


This is my theme quote for NaNoWriMo this year.  It is going splendidly, but I'm very glad I had experience in writer's lingo.  I've joined a chat room with a bunch of other young and teen writers.  Some of the abbreviations still hold true, like MC for main character and POV for Point of View.  But there are some abbreviations that only are used (or at least mostly are used) by NaNoers (my word for people doing NaNo.)

I'm going to try to summarize as many as possible here.
(In the order I think of them:)

WC--Word Count
WG--Word Goal
WCG-- Word Count Goal
WW-- Word War (NOT WORLD WAR)--Who can write the most in a set amount of time.
WS--Word Sprint-- Same as WW.  If you fail to meet a set number, though, there will be consequences such as being kicked of the chat.
WR--Word Race-- A race to see who can get to a set number of words the fastest.
WT--Word Tournament-- A bunch of word wars with elimination of the lowest word count each time until one victor remains.
WRT--Word Race Tournament-- A bunch of word races where the set word count goes up each round and the last person to finish each round is eliminated.
:00-- at the hour in whatever time zone you live in.  Same for all :__ such as :15 or :25.

That's all I can think of right now.  Go Teen Writers just put up a great post on all things writer abbrevs.  Click here to see it.   

Because I think WTs are hard. to understand, here's and example with Bob, Mary, Sue, Emily, Jack, and Matt

:00 to :05 WW.  Bob only wrote 87 words so he's out.
:15 to :25 WW.  Mary only got 229 words, so she's out.
:30 to :45 WW.  Sue only got 293 words, so she's out.
:50 to :10 WW.  Emily only got 370 words, so she's out.
:15 to :40 WW.  Jack had 450 to Matt's 471.  Matt wins!

See how the time keeps getting longer, and people keep getting eliminated?  That's a word tournament!

If I left something out or you have questions, leave me a comment.  They make my day.  Happy writing!

P.S.  I'm at 7.5K.  What are you at?

2 comments:

  1. Omigosh Sarah! I love your blog!


    -Hope (Lily)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lily (Hope)! NaNoing with you rocks!
      ~Sarah Faulkner

      Delete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.