Saturday, December 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo and Habits

So, happy December!
The beginning of December marks the end of November.  In case you couldn't tell by the badge proudly portrayed on the right side of my blog, I finished National Novel Writing Month on November 30 with 50 thousand words!  I screamed, I think.  I know I was thrilled.

So, today's December 1st, and as I sat down the fire us Netflix after dinner dishes I couldn't help but feel that something wasn't quite right.  My laptop, which sat on the coffee table next to be, seemed to say that if I didn't use this time to write, I would be a shame to all writers everywhere.
They say it takes 21 days to make a habit.  Well, NaNoWriMo is 30.  Thirty days of writing an average of 1667 words per day.  (I actually wrote as low as 430 words on November 21 and as high as 2675 words on the 7th.)
This, I think, is one of the reasons NaNoWriMo is a great idea. It gets you in the habit of writing, and writing a lot.  If you're hoping to one day be a writer for a living, you get used to working with dead lines.  And now, today, 30 days after I started trying to write a book in a month, taking a day off seems like a crazy idea.  After all, I have a book to write.  Just staring at my closed laptop and a bottom bar without a word document waiting for today's word wars and musical word wars and word tourneys and races.  I fell just plain guilty.  Because I'm watching TV and getting on Facebook and blogging.
But in a way, that's a good thing, even a great thing.  I thinking about writing.  I'm thinking about how I should be writing and why I should be writing.  And how the next part in my writing is going to go.  And I love it.  For the first time in a long time, I feel like a writer again.  I haven't written much of anything steadily for the past few months, and this November, I did.  And it feels wonderful.
Okay.  That's it for this post.
Did you do NaNo?  If so, how'd it go, and did you feel funny not having to try to reach 1667 words today?


3 comments:

  1. This is such a great post. And so, so true. I have to do something 'writerly' every day. Wether its blogging, or reading blogs, or critiquing or writing. It's something I have to do, and I enjoy doing. NaNo is kinda the extreme, but after you do it its like you don't want to go back to a time when you didn't feel like a writer every day :)

    Congrats on NaNo dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on completing NaNo!! That is a huge accomplishment! I am in no way a writer so I didn't participate but I'm always amazed to hear peoples stories about participating in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.