Friday, January 4, 2013

12 Best Books of 2012

Hey everyone!  While I was lounging on the couch with a killer cold watching White Collar and (not) doing Government homework I found myself perusing around my blogger feed.  I saw a post from my friend Hannah, over at Candy Apple Books.  Her post was Top Ten Books of 2012.  Seeing her list, I was inspired to do a similar post.  But because I'm not as awesome as Hannah, I could just pick 10 books.  So instead, I'm going for a full dozen.

12.  Coming in as the 12th best book I read in 2012, I present to you How to Save a Life by Sara Zarr.  This is a wonderful, sweet and touching story.  I first brought it home from the library because I thought it might be the book adaption of the movie by the same title.  Although the book wasn't what I thought it would be, it turned out to be better.  You should read it.  Seriously.

11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green was a wonderful read.  It had a sweet story and a touching romance, but there were a few scenes that really should have been left out.  As a Christian teen, I don't want to read about that sort of stuff.

10. I really enjoyed the Beka Cooper series by Tamara Pierce.  Unfortunately, the series starts out pretty clean but gets worse as it goes along.  Seriously, we teens have enough sexuality forced down our throats without having it crammed into all YA novels too.

9. Everyday by David Levithan was a book that took my breath away.  This book has a lot of mature content that I wish had been left out, but I loved the plot.

8. At number eight, we've got The Angle Experiment by James Patterson.  Okay, well I actully loved the whole series, but in case you were wondering, The Angle Experiment is the first book.  (After writing this, I realized that I am probably that last person on the face of the planet to read the Maximum Ride books, but oh well.)

7. Next on the list is Soulbound by Heather Brewer.  I didn't think I'd heard of this author until I checked my library shelves and saw that she is responsible for several well known paranormal novels.  Paranormal isn't really my thing, so that explains why I didn't recognize her name.

6. At sixth place, we've got Insignia by S.J. Kincaid.  Amazing novel, especially for the authors debut!  I especially loves how clean it was.  I might have a hard time reading it to my brothers because of some action scenes but not because of any mature content.  Check it out sometime!

5. I must say, Ender's Game did not disappoint.  I saw references to this book in a handful of Writing books, but didn't pay much attention to it until one of my older siblings loaned me his copy.  Thank you, older brother!  This book blew me away! 

4. In fourth place, I loved Animal Farm by George Orwell.  Wow does this book make you think.




3. Coming in a close third, we've got The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima.  As I've stated before, this book really surpassed my expectations.  I sincerely hope Ms. Chima sticks with Mid-Evil Fantasy.  She does it fantastically!

2. Second place is Unwind, by Neal Shusterman.  I must have a thing for heavy reading.  I don't know how much buzz this book received, but whatever it was, it wasn't enough.  This is a great futuristice novel about what happens when we as a society continue to blur the lines between when a person gets his humanity.  Is it at conception, birth, or age 18? A must read for every teen and most adults too.

1. And rolling in with spot one, my favorite book of 2012, I give you The False Prince by Jennifer Neilson. This books is wonderful.  I've read it I think 4 times.  And yeah, it was published in April.






Honorable Mentions:
13. The Hate List by Jennifer Brown
14. Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
15. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
16. Zelah Green by Vanessa Curtis
17. Ordinary Magic by Caitlen Rubino-Bradway
18. The Girls of No Return by Erin Saldin
19. Fallen by Lauren Kate
20. The Selection by Kiera Cass


So yeah!  Those are the 12 best books I read in 2012, plus some others that nearly made the list.


2 comments:

  1. Awesome list, Sarah! :) There are several I've got to read now!

    But now I'm all regretful for not doing twelve books. Ugh. I was planning on doing twelve, but when it came time for me to write the post I forgot, and just did ten.

    That would've made it easier for me to choose the books. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad to say that I haven't read any of these! By the sounds of it I've really missed out! The False Prince must really be amazing if you've already read it four times!! Thanks for sharing your favorites of 2012 =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.