Friday, January 18, 2013

Teens Can Write Too Blog Chain!!

I am a very horrible person.  I am an extremely and very horrible person.  All month I have been reminding myself to post on the 17th for the Teens Can Write Too January blog chain.  And then I forgot.  And I feel incredibly awful.
So yes, I'm doing this post a day late and I make loads and loads of various apologies.
The post topic is 
 “Is there one particular book that changed your life? If so, why did you 
originally choose to read it? What impact has it had on you?”     

The first book is, obviously the Bible.  But that was in an indirect way, because mostly sermons or talks with people who also read the Bible regularly has changed my life.  And completely for the better.


Here's a verse I discovered last night in my reading that I thought I would share.  Because it seriously has life changing qualities:
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~Romans 8:38-39


The next book is The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.  If you've been a follower of mine for any length of time, you would know that The Thief is the first book in my all time favorite series.  Ever.  Originally, my older sister read this book aloud to me.

I am crazy blessed to live in a family of book lovers.  I was read to by my Mom, (Little House on the Prairie, Miracle on Maple Hill, those sorts of books)  my Dad, (Little Britches, The Great Brain, and anything by E.B White) my oldest sister, (Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden,and The Westing Game) and my other sister, (Artemis Fowl--all 8 of them--, Mara Daughter of the Nile, Magnus, Shadow Spinner  and The Queen's Thief books.)

So yeah . . .  lots of books.  Is it really any wonder I want to be an author?  But there was just something special about The Thief and the other books in the series.  Something genius.

You see, before The Thief, I was read to and I listened to books on tape and CD but that was pretty much it.  I didn't like reading.  It was boring and took too long.  But then I was read The Thief and everything changed.  Suddenly, I realized that there was a whole host of books open to me only in print. (Books that hadn't been recorded aloud.)  And so, in about 4th Grade, The Thief is the reason I read books.
Thank goodness my sister read it to me.  (Although some of my beta readers might disagree.  :P)

Check out the rest of the blog chain:
January 5th - Muslim Spirit by Fida
January 6th - The Teenage Writer
January 7th - Miss Alexandrina
January 8th - Between The Lines
January 9th - Avon’s Babbles
January 10th - Life.
January 11th - Inside The Junk Drawer
January 12th - Notebook Sisters
January 13th - Musings From Neville’s Navel
January 14th - The Loony Teen Writer
January 15th - A Mirror Made Of Words
January 16th - Epistolary Girl
January 17th - Inklined
January 18th - Zara Hoffman’s Blog
January 19th - SydneyJoTo
January 20th – Reality Is Imaginary
January 21st - The Little Engine That Couldn’t
January 22nd - Writers Response
January 23rd - John Hansen Writes
January 24th – Miriam Joy Writes

Also and on a completely unrelated note, check out this trailer and then like this Facebook page.  Pretty please!?


2 comments:

  1. I know a lot of people say the book that changed their life was the one they read out of choice, the first one they actually looked at and read from the page, rather than being read to. :)

    Interestingly, my family have loads and loads of home made audiobooks recorded on old reel-to-reel tapes, that are literally just my grandma or grandad reading aloud into the microphone, but preserved for, well, must be about fifty years now. It's the oddest thing, because I'm not a huge fan of audiobooks but if I were ever to want to listen to, say, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, I could listen to my grandparents reading it. Even though they've both passed away. And it's an odd feeling.

    Well, that was a sidetrack... sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've always loved reading, and never had a problem with it. But back a couple years ago I had trouble with getting out of my comfort zone with reading. I would just read the familiar classics and books that my mom had read to me several times before. Now I've learned to challenge myself and take risks when reading. There might be an occasional inappropriate book I run across, but I have found sooo many amazing books from popping my little comfort bubble.

    Oh and I loooove talking books! My sister and I tried to make our own talking books too, Mirriam, it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.