Thursday, February 21, 2013

Author Interview: Lenore Appelhans

Hi everyone!  Today we have one of my personal favorite type of post, an author interview with debut author Lenore Appelhans.  Last week, after I did a Fridays with First Timers post, I e-mailed Ms. Appelhans--the author of the book Level 2--asking for an interview.  She was really prompt in getting back to me with a response!
But enough of me, onto the published people:

Can you describe Level 2 for those of us who haven't read it?

Level 2 is an afterlife thriller about a girl who died the day before her 18th birthday and now finds herself in this stark white afterlife world where she relives the memories of her time on earth and rents the memories of others. Until one day, a boy from her past breaks her out, tells her there is a rebellion brewing and promises her the one thing she wants most …

When did you know you wanted to be an author?
I actually never dared to dream of being a published author – until a few hours before my deal went down.  It always seemed to me to be such an unattainable dream. It was meeting authors through my blog that led me to take a chance and start writing Level 2.  YA authors are super approachable and many have given me great advice and support. I am happy to pay it forward!

What are a few of your favorite books or authors?
I love high-concept novels and authors that innovate – like AS King, David Mitchell, Lauren Oliver and Laini Taylor.

How much did you write before you were published?
I was an advertising copywriter for over ten years, so I wrote every day. But if you mean fiction, Level 2 was the first novel I finished. I’ve also been collaborating with my illustrator husband on picture books since 2004.  We are finally getting our first book published this summer – Chick-O-Saurus Rex.

What is your favorite part of writing?
I love the days where everything comes together. Where a flash of inspiration leads to figuring out a plot point that has been nagging at you for weeks.

What's you least favorite part?
The days when nothing seems to flow. When you stare at your curser willing the words to come. But they don’t.

What does your writing process look like?
Lots of showers and naps. Showers help me untangle my thoughts and gain focus. Naps allow my subconscious to work out problems.


Do you have any advice for writers looking to get published?
Read. Write. Revise. The road to publication is a long one, so you need to be tough. Don’t make the mistake of submitting your writing before it is ready. There’s no rush to get published.

Thanks so much for coming, Lenora!  Good luck with Level 2!

3 comments:

  1. Really nice interview with Lenore Appelhans. I'm looking forward to read the book. You've made me quite excited for it Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're excited for it! It's a great book to put on your reading list, especially if you're doing the Debut Authors challenge.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. That book sounds interesting! Thanks for this interview.
    http://hbroadwayphann.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.