Friday, February 8, 2013

Fridays with First Timers: Level 2

As you might know, I'm taking part in the 2013 Debut Author Challenge.  So with me reading 12 debut author books, I thought it would be a good idea to return to the Fridays with First Timers!
So, equipped with my list of potential debut books, I made my way to my local library's website.  And guess what?  They didn't have a single one.   *insert sad face here*
But, have no fear!  My library has a page made of awesome called the "Purchase Request" page.  This page does exactly what it sounds like it does.  It allows you to ask your library to buy books so that you can read them.  Like I said, pure awesome.
So after making a whole slew of requests, the first book has been bought by my library.  It's still in the mail (or hiding somewhere in the midst the library repackaging awesome) so I haven't actually read this book yet.  But I'm excited for it and I thought I would do my part to share the love!

So About the Author:

Thanks to my father's job in the US military, I became addicted to travel early.  To date, I've visited nearly 60 countries and have stepped on every contintent except Antartica. My travels inspire my writing - in fact, the original spark of the idea for LEVEL 2 grew out of an discussion with my grandmother about whether it was better to spend my money on Precious Moments figurines (her view) or plane tickets (my view).

I currently live in Frankfurt, Germany and the last foreign country I visited was Krygyzstan (Sept 2012).

Fun facts:

  • I've lived in 7 US states (North Dakota, Colorado, Utah, California, Ohio, Kansas, Oklahoma) and 5 foreign countries (Greece, Ecuador, Spain, Japan, Germany)
  • I have 3 fancy Sacred Birman cats. You can see pictures of them in cute and crazy poses on my blog.
  • I wrote my first book, Timothy the Bug, in the car on a family vacation when I was in the 5th grade. In 8th grade, I made it to the state semi-finals in Ohio's Power of the Pen competition (I placed 5th at the regional level).
  • I've swam with sea lions in the Galapagos Islands, walked with lions in Zimbabwe, fed anteaters in Tikal, Guatemala, braved fire ants in Australia, chased a puffin across a black sand beach in Iceland and narrowly avoided stepping on a snake in Burma.
You can find her website by clicking here.



And About the Book: (from said website)
In Level 2, the liminal place between our world (Level 1) and heaven, Seventeen-year-old Felicia Ward spends her days in her pod reliving her favorite memories - until she gets broken out by Julian, a boy she knew when she was still alive. There’s about to be an uprising in Level Two, and Julian wants to recruit her to the cause. But unsure whether she can trust Julian, and still in love with her boyfriend Neil on Earth, she finds herself torn between two loves—and two worlds.

I will be reading this.  You should too.  And isn't that cover just intriguing?

See ya around!

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love reading debut novels from authors, always so curious to find nwe authors. I hadn't heard of the book before, but it sounds intruging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking part in the Debut Author Challenge as well =) That is so cool that your library allows you to request book for purchase! I wish mine had that! Wow, I can't believe the author has been to all those places, so awesome! I haven't decided yet whether or not I'm going to read this one =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome that you requested your library purchase LEVEL 2! Thank you so much for that - it really, really helps!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.