Thursday, March 7, 2013

Guest Post: Caitlin Hensley

I was going to open using "Hey guys!"  But then I realized that I open a ton of my posts like that soo . . .  apparently I need to find a new opening.

Today Inklined is part of a blog tour, in case you couldn't tell already.
I met Caitlin through the Go Teen Writers community and actually had the pleasure of critiquing the first chapter of Paranormal Legacy.  The Kindle edition of Paranormal Legacy was released yesterday and the paperback edition will be out on the 12th.

To celebrate the release of her second book, Caitlin put together a blog tour and for that tour she agreed to do a guest post about self-publishing for us.  I've want to do a post that talks about self-publishing for a while now, but I didn't think I was experienced enough to properly cover the subject.  Caitlin, on the other hand, clearly does have experience.  Thanks for coming, Caitlin!

Self-Publishing


Back in October of 2012, I decided to self-publish my YA paranormal fantasy Paranormal Legacy, after some serious thought on the matter. I used to think that self-published books aren't as good as those that are traditionally published, but now I'm convinced otherwise.  Some self-pubbed books aren't that great, true, but that's because the authors rush through the publishing process without proper editing, interior formatting, or cover design. But if you work really hard to make your book as fantastic as it can be, then there's no reason why it can’t shine like books that are published traditionally.

Self-publishing, also known as indie publishing, used to carry a huge stigma. Probably because years ago, people used to print copies of their manuscripts off their printers and hand them out to people as giant stacks of paper. Not very professional, which is probably what originally led most people to believe that indie publishing isn't as good as traditional publishing.

It's true that writers who are traditionally published have to be accepted by agents first, which means that someone actually likes the book, someone who isn't just pretending to like it in order to be nice. But the fact is, books aren’t automatically awesome just because they’re traditionally published. Sometimes when I pick up books at the library, I flip through them and think, How on earth was this published? And honestly, self-published books are just like that. Some are trash, but some are gems.

These days, self-published writers don't have to hand out their books in the form of thick stacks of paper. Anyone can create a professional-looking book with websites like CreateSpace. All you have to do is set up an account, and you could publish your own book that very week, or any time it strikes your fancy. I don't recommend rushing through the process, though. Rushing means messy, and messy means that your book won't look so good. And that means that people won't want to read your book.

Since October, I've edited Paranormal Legacy again and again, and had it looked over by various beta readers. I've completely designed the book, from cover to the inside pages, down to the tiniest detail. I've even created a Kindle version, which was pretty tricky. But despite so much hard work, I'm glad I decided to publish my book this way. It's been a great learning experience, and I've had a lot of fun pushing my book to be the best it can be.

Caitlin Hensley has been telling stories since she learned to hold a pen, and is pretty much obsessed with writing. She’s the author of The Inhuman Chronicles, as well as the novelette Together Alone. When not typing frantically on her laptop, she’s usually dancing, catching up on reruns of her favorite TV shows, or getting lost in a great book. She lives in rural Oklahoma with her family and a slightly nutty Chihuahua. For more information on Caitlin and her writing, visit her blog, Facebook page, Goodreads account, or Amazon author page..

Thanks so much for coming, Caitlin!  If anyone has questions for Caitlin, I'm not promising anything but she might answer a few of them in the comment section.
To see the other tour post up today, check out this blog: http://heidinicolebird.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me, Sarah! I really appreciate it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read so much on self-publishing, I love to find indie authors and indeed they can be definately just as good (or bad) as traditional published authors

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.