Monday, August 12, 2013

First Day of School


Hey Guys!  Today marks the first day of school for me today.  I'm starting a little earlier than most of you, because I'm homeschooled and can start whenever I want.  As long as I get in 180 of school, I'm solid.

I spent some time on my first day setting my syllabus for the rest of the semester.  Late in the summer, I realized that I'm not as well read as probably most of you are, and certainly not as well read as an Honers English junior should be.  I was going to pick 15 books to read this year, but I couldn't, so I'm settling on 17.  I plan on reading 9 my first semester, so that if I only read 8 I'll still have time to procrastinate next semester.   I divided the list up into two haves, trying to spread the books I'm excited about reading and the books I'm not excited about reading between the two semesters as easily as possible.

Here's a list of books I hope to read in the next four months:

1.       Communist Manifesto by Marx
2.       Inferno by Dante
3.       The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne (Edited)
4.       Paradise Lost by Milton
5.       The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald
6.       A Doll’s House by Ibsen
7.       Wuthering Heights by Bronte
8.       The Importacet of Being Ernest by Wilde
9.       Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury

Yeah.  I know Marx isn't on the typical junior English class reading list, but I didn't have to read it last year for government and I'm thinking about getting a degree in political science, so I'm thinking I should read it.  I'm excited to read these books, but I'm also a little worried that they will keep me from reading the wonderful up ans coming young adult books that I love so much.  Hopefully that won't be the case, but I guess we'll see.

What about you?  When does your school year start?  Are you taking an English or Literature class, and if so, what class?  Have you read any of the books on my To-Read classics list?  If so, were they good or a struggle to get through? What are 5-10 novels that you're hoping to get read in the rest of this year?

Happy reading, writing, and studying!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great list!

    However, The Scarlet Letter is written by Hawthorne...not Hemingway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really did know that at some point in my life. Uhg. First day of school and i'm already brain dead.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. I'm reading The Scarlet Letter and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for book reports this year... but my Scarlet Letter is by Hawthorne ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Fixed. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by~
      ~Sarah

      Delete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.