Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Formatting a PDF for Kindle

Sorry for the long absence!

I don't know about you, but I've gotten my fair share of PDF books.  These are great!  However, when I go to put them on my Kindle something sad happens.  My Kindle isn't the size of a full 8.5"X11" page.  So I have to put it in landscape mode, and each page takes me three scrolls.  Still pretty good for a free book, but it could be a lot better.

So I recently wanted to put a doc. on my Kindle and was forced to play around with formatting a little bit.  I found a format that works much better on my Kindle and thought I'd share it with you.  For this process I used MicrosoftWord and PDF Complete.

First, copy and paste your novel into a new doc.
Under Page Layout, set your page size to 4"x6.25"
Still under Page Layout, set your margins to Narrow or .5" all the way around
Go back to the Home tab and set your line spacing to 1.0.
Set your font size to 11 or 12.  I normally use Times New Romans, but I've found Calibri works better for my Kindle.
If you have a cover, hit CTRL+Enter at the start of the first page and place your cover so that it takes up all of the first page.
In the margin at the top of the page, put your title in italics.
Save the document as something like "Your Title" PDF format Kindle.
Click Save As again, only this time under the drop down list Save as type, put PDF or PDF Complete
Copy and paste it onto your Kindle when it's hooked up to your computer, and you're done!

If you're e-mailing a copy of your book to someone, I would suggest you attach a full page PDF  version for computer reading, as well as this Kindle formatted one you just made.

Thanks for reading!  If you have ever tried reading full page docs on your Kindle, leave me a comment and let me know what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.