Monday, August 19, 2013

What I Want for My Books and My Readers

Part 1: Characters

I want someone to finish my book frustrated that the story is over. 


I want every character to pop off the page.  I want every character to speak so much like themselves that you’ll know who is talking just by reading their dialogue.  I want every character to be their own person and for each of them to be interesting in their own way.  I want the clever characters to be even more clever.  I want less likeable characters to be likable anyway.  I want dumber characters to add to the plot and the humor.  I want the characters all ready to be the stars of their own books. I want to make sure every emotion is real and told in the best way possible.  I want the character’s actions telling the story as much as their words.  I want my secondary characters to be people too.  I want them to be as much a part of the story as my focus characters.  I want them to have motivations and I want conflict to rise and fall from each of them.

I've been thinking about my standards for my books a lot lately.  I don't want what happened to Jo March to happen to me.  I don't want to compromise for pocket money.  I don't want to compromise at all.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! I want the exact same thing for my books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree! Thanks for stopping by!
      ~Sarah

      Delete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.