Monday, August 26, 2013

What I Want For My Books and My Readers

{source}
Part 3: Setting and Plot

I want the setting to be so real that you don’t have to use your imagination to know what it looks like. I want the setting and history and context of the story to weave together into the perfect background.  I want the backdrop of my story, the history and fashion and smells to be necessary so that it’s impossible to switch setting without having to re-write the entire story.  I want the magical elements of my book to be possible.


I want my plot to be fresh and surprising.  I want the reader’s predictions about what’s going to happen to be wrong.  I want the reader to have to be smart and pay attention to figure out what’s happening in my book.  I don’t want to treat them as if their dumb.  I want the reader to be forced into suspending their disbelief because they just care so much.  I want the reader’s emotions to be pulled and tugged and crushed just as often as the characters.  I want this book to feel so real a small portion of the reader’s mind wants to pretend it actually happened.  I want the reader to think they know what’s going on, only to find they have no clue, only to figure it out again before the end.

To view part one, Characters, click here.
To read part two, Readers and Characters, click here.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Sarah, I see in you a writer so determined and passionate. I admire you and your writing abilities so much. Sometimes I wish I could be as disciplined as you are... maybe I could actually finish a novel if I was...

    I do believe that someday you will be a famous published author, with several books in print with your name on the cover.

    And I can't wait to see that happen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah, You have no idea what it means to me to hear you say that. And someday, we'll be famous together! Doing book tours and signings together and it will be wonderful!

      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. I definitely agree with this! Great post!

    www.coversandink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Welcome to the Inklined family. I'm glad you liked the post!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, especially plot-wise. There are so many people OBSESSED with certain books, to the point that they edit pictures and choose movie characters, and become so absorbed in the plot that it makes them laugh, scream, cry. I want that. I want people to read my book and be angry, I want them to be overjoyed, excited. Good luck!

    www.alicekouzmenkowriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Exactly! Thanks for stopping by!
      ~Sarah

      Delete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.