Monday, September 9, 2013

Book Review: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

{source}
“If you start to read this book, you will go on a journey with a nine-year-old boy named Bruno.  (Though this isn’t a book for nine-year-olds.) And sooner or later you will arrive with Bruno at a fence. Fences like this exist all over the world.  We hope you never have to encounter one.”  ~The Boy in the Striped Pajamas 

That was all the back cover of my audio book had to say about the novel it contained.  I had heard some great things about The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but I had no idea what it was about.  Then I saw the cover one day and immediately decided it wasn't a book I was going to read.  Ever.  What can I say?  Don't judge a book by it's cover.  That's the reason I'm not showing you that cover now.

I don't want to say a lot about this book.  The discovery of the story is so tightly tied to the story that I don't want to spoil any of the reading for you.  You'll just have to read it for yourself.

This book, more than any I've ever read, resisted the urge to explain.  It didn't dumb down its story for its reader.  It forced its reader, me, to think, to learn, to care.  I appreciate that so much!

This book receives 6 out of 5 stars from me.  It's wonderful and breathtaking.  Anyone should read it if they're over the age of 12.  Adults should read it.  Kids should read it.  You and all your family should read it.

It's wonderful and it's short, so even if you don't fall in love with it as much as I did, it will only be three hours of reading time gone.

If you are a writer, I don't care what genera, you should read this book.  It--more than any other book I've ever read--resists the urge to explain.  It treats its readers with intelligence.  It shows and doesn't tell.

All I have left to say it this.  Read it.  And if you have read it, give it to others so they can read it.

And please, don't go look up the cover now because you're curios.  If you buy the book, buy the one with the cover that's just stripes.  You won't regret it.

Thanks for reading.


 

4 comments:

  1. I so agree with you! This book is a must-read (but not before going to bed).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just recently read this book as well ( http://larkwritersbookreviews.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-boy-in-striped-pajamas.html ) and really appreciated the big punch packed into such a small and simple book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is a really wonderful read, isn't it?
      Thanks for stopping by! How did you find me?
      ~Sarah

      Delete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.