Monday, September 16, 2013

The Biannual Switching of Teas

Hey!  Hope you're having a wonderful week so far.

So, last Monday the high where I live was 95 degrees.  In that kind of weather, my caffeine of choice is sweet ice tea.

I know that to be a writer, liking coffee is practically on the contract for writers, and I do like coffee.  But we don't have a one cup maker.  Out of my family that is still living at my house, my dad and I are the only ones that drink coffee.  Which means that on a typical day we will never, between the two of us drink a pot.  Normally we make one pot for the weekend and throw a good two cups away come Monday morning.

It should be noted here that the type of coffee I enjoy is so far removed from black, hard core coffee drinkers would probably call it hot chocolate.  Basically, I fill a mug about half full of coffee.  I fill it up to 3/4 with skim milk, and then I dump in two tablespoons of Nesquik chocolate milk mix and a tablespoon of sugar, stir it up, nuke it for 20 seconds, and enjoy.  I would also enjoy a caramel latte, a mocha latte, a frappe, and the occasion vanilla chi latte.

So, I don't drink a ton of coffee.  I drink more in the winter, but still no more than three cups all enjoyed over the weekend.

Tea, on the other hand, can be made in a microwave for one person in a few minutes.  In the summer, like I said, my drink of choice is Lipton tea, steeped for 10-15 minutes with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar for the roughly 3 cups of liquid.  Once the hot tea is done steeping, I pour it over a cup filled with ice, wait two to ten minutes, depending on how impatient I'm feeling at the time, and drink.  Ice tea is not a common drink in my family and I get some strange looks from my family when I'm drinking it, but oh well.

So while I enjoyed ice tea on Tuesday and Wednesday, by Friday the temperature had dropped to a high of 68.  And today, when I found myself craving some tea, I realized that it  was way too cold for ice tea. So for the first time since April, I brought out and thoroughly enjoyed my favorite hot tea.  I had it in my favorite mug while writing this blog post.

This is the tea I'll drink at 10:00 PM at least 20 times this November, trying to stay up long enough to write those 1667 words before sleep claims me.  This is the tea I'll make when my sister comes home for Christmas and she's sipping her earl gray or white pomegranate.  This is my drink of choice for all the mornings Mom only has the house at 62 degrees and there's 4 inches of snow on the ground.

This is the tea of fall, winter, and early spring.

What about you?  Do you have anything that lets you know summer is leaving in fall is on its way?  What is it?

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. My same summer to fall switch over is tea as well. Even though I'm a writer I only drink coffee on the weekends, since I am the only person in my family who will drink it. That's why I typically stick to tea. I love getting the crystal light teas. Their peach teas are amazing. When the temperature starts to hit the 60's I switch out for my hot tea's. My mom and I have a whole cupboard full of different types of teas. There's a very strong dark tea that I use for NaNo's. It definitely wakes me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's pretty much exactly how I am, except I'm also the only person in my family still living at home who drinks tea. Thanks for reading!
      ~Sarah

      Delete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.