Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Few Thoughts on NaNoWriMo

Hey guys!  This is more of a personal post than I'm trying to do, but I'll do my best to keep it interesting or at the very least entertaining.

NaNoWriMo is something I participated in this year.  I hope to do so for a long time to come.  In my opinion, it's a very good idea for writers to try their hand at.  The only time I wouldn't recommend it is if you've never written a novel before, but you think you want to become a novelist.  Because if you try it then, you might get burnt out.

This year, I wrote a high fantasy a little bit like the Septimus Heep books by Angie Sage.  The first draft is not finished, but I won NaNoWriMo on Friday, November 29 with 50,130 words.  This is my fourth novel and something that I think is really cool is that with each book I write, I feel like I get better at something.  Maybe that's just because I'm at the start of my writing learning curve, but I hope not.

I'm writing this book to the oldest audience I've ever written a book for.  My first book's main character (MC) is fourteen at the start of the book.  In The Thirteenth Wizard my MC is only fifteen at the start of the book, but I fell like you can tell this book isn't for children.  Although I say I write YA, my other two books are more middle grade (MG) or even juvenile (JV.)  This might just be because I'm the oldest I've ever been when I wrote a book, but maybe it's just because I'm getting better at rising the action and the themes, and I don't want younger kids or teens reading such intense stuff.

Another thing I learned during NaNoWriMo is that I can write pretty quickly.  If you give me 2 hours, I can churn out about 3K.  I have to turn my music up and my wi-fi off, but I can do it.  That's something new for me.

All in all, NaNoWriMo was pretty wonderful and I'm really glad I did it this year!  My story has flaws.  I need to raise the stakes, because right now, if my character fails, it doesn't really matter.  I need to tighten the writing, because I used the word "was" 518 times in 50,00 words, which is not good.  But I think I have some good things going for me and I'm pretty excited for what this book can become.

What about you?  Did you participate in NaNoWriMo?  Did you win?  Did you finish your novel?  Do you feel like you learn something new or get better at something with each draft you write?  Leave me a comment and let me know.

See you on Monday!

P.S. I thought some of you might like to see the birthday cake I made for my little brother.  He's a big LotR fan!

5 comments:

  1. I did win NaNoWriMo! I didn't finish my novel; it's currently waiting for me to deal with Actual Responsibility so I can get back to it. I do think that I get a bit better with each draft. Congrats on winning NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you, too! I know what you mean about Actual Responsibility. December is crazy for out family! I don't know how much time I'll have to write in the next few weeks, but probably not very much.
      Thanks for reading!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. I've never participated in NaNoWriMo, only because I've always been working on another project during that time. But I definitely think it's a great opportunity for writers to push themselves to stay focused and persistent. Maybe next year I'll have the chance...although I'm pretty sure I said that last year, lol =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! As you know, I didn't win, but I still made a decent amount of progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I managed to (somehow) win, and congratulations to everyone else who did win!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.