Monday, January 13, 2014

Support an Author 2014 Pledge

Why hello there!

I don't know about you, but I got some wonderful books for Christmas, including The False Prince by Jennifer Nielson and The Chicago Manual of Style.  But one thing my parents had a hard time understanding was my insistence that they buy me only new books when it came to fiction.

About this time last year, Jill Williamson posted this article on my favorite blog, Go Teen Writers.  Basically, it encouraged you to buy books new, to understand that the only way an author makes money is when you buy their books from book stores or places like Amazon or The Book Depository.



To understand this, let's take a brief look at how an author makes money.  Let's say that for every copy of a book sold, the author gets 10%.  That's quite nice.  I think the normal cut is more like 7-8% for a new author.  One of the books I want right now (The Shadow Throne by Jennifer Nielson) is $11.76 in hardcover.  So if the author got 10%, she'd get about $1.18 for every book sold.  But then her agent takes their 15% of that, leaving the author only $1 for every new copy of her book that sells.

I don't know much about budgeting, but I know that in America, living on less than $25,000 is though.  That means the author would have to sell 25,000 books (in hardcover) to stay afloat.  Given that 15,000 hardcover books is a great number of hardcovers to sell, I think authors and use all the help they can get.

I don't buy a lot of books.  (I use my local library.)  I think I've bought three for myself, ever.  But this year, I'm taking a Support and Author pledge. I'm going to buy a new book every other month of 2014.  Six books might not sound like a lot to you, but trust me, on no allowance and no job, it is.  I'll do an update post with the books I bought, so you guys can keep up.

I know I'll be buying Sixteen by Emily Rachelle, which comes out in eight days, but I also might buy Shadow Throne by Jennifer Nielson, which doesn't come out until February.

I dare you to buy a book.  You don't have to buy six, just buy one more this year than last year.  Or buy a latest book from your favorite author, just be sure to buy it new.

What was the latest book you bought? Do you buy books?  Are you sure to buy new, or had it never crossed your mind?  Please leave a comment and let me know.


P.S. It's almost my 2nd blog birthday.  I would love to get to 100 followers, so if you've been reading but aren't a follower, maybe think about joining?

12 comments:

  1. I remember reading about the Support an Author pledge. I definitely plan to buy some books new this year . . . I have B&N gift cards to burn. And I always get at least one book on my birthday and generally get several at Christmas.

    Happy almost-2nd-blog-birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often buy ebooks because I live in Indonesia. :P But I am going to America in April and hope to buy a ton of books from the bookstore or off of Amazon. :)

    TW Wright
    ravensandwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last book I bought was NIV Teen-Read-Through-the-Bible-Guide-in-a-Year book. I enjoy it a lot, I am aware of this, but this hope has pushed me more to buy books. :) Thanks so much, Sarah. I also posted about this at my blog Ravens and Writing Desks.

      TW Wright
      ravensandwriting.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for that post! Loved it.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops...I didn't mean to delete my comment. I wanted to thank you Sarah for supporting authors by making an effort to buy more books. As an author, I appreciate it when teens and college students buy my book, knowing they are on limited budgets. For those who can't afford to buy many books, I wanted to remind them that posting reviews is a wonderful way to support authors when funds are limited. Just sayin'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reminder. I don't really like book reviews, personally, but when I do write them, it's only to support the author.
      Thanks for reading!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  5. Hey! I love buying books new. I love the pledge idea - lately I have been encouraging people to buy more books too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's a fantastic idea! I do buy books rather frequently but I'm trying to support more indie authors this year.
    Also, I love the False Prince and the Runaway King. I'm getting an ARC of the Shadow Throne from the publisher and I'm super excited!

    Wow. I sound hyper. I guess it was a bad idea to have ice cream cake for breakfast.

    -Sam
    www.youngwriterscafe.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream for breakfast is never a bad idea. :) Thanks for reading. Super jealous of the ACR.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  7. I love buying books and adding them to my bookshelf. Since we hardly ever, ever go to the library (I know, it is the saddest thing in the world), I'm usually stuck with either ordering books online, or convincing my dad to take me to the bookstore.

    But I kind of like owning the books I read. That way I can always just pick them up and re-read them whenever my heart desires. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.