Thursday, February 20, 2014

Boys in Books

Hey guys!  I've missed you.

I've been thinking about my favorite characters lately, and I realized something. 

This post was partly inspired by this YouTube video, so feel free to enjoy as you continue reading.

I realized that out of my top 10 or 20 characters, only 2 of them are girls.  Only 2!  I consider myself a little bit of a feminist. So realizing that I love books with strong male characters way more than books with a central female character.

Also, out of the four books I've written, two of them are about boys.  And while those two are the most recent, they're also by far my two most favorite novels.  I simply had to face the facts, I like books about boys more than books about girls.  I feel like their characters are stronger, there plots and better, and I just generally love a good guy character.

I think this could be true for one of any number of reasons.
1) I sometimes think about myself marrying fictional characters.  (What can I say?  I'm just your atypical fangirl when you get to the nit and grit of it all.)  So I tend to think about boys in books a little more than girls.

2) I friend of mine, aspiring teen author Nick Height, pointed out that, especially in YA, boys are not very realistic.  At all.  Like Hale in Heist Society by Ally Carter?  I don't think there's a seventeen year old american alive who could possibly be that nice, considerate, witty, and coy.  And Hale is also a multi-billionaire.  This is just one of the examples where boys are way more cool, amazing, and responsible than boys could ever possibly be in real life.

3) Love Triangles.  Excluding 11th grade Shakespeare, I can't think of a single love triangle involving the readers having to pick between two girls for the MC.  It's almost always one girl to two boys.  Which means that we, especially us female readers, spend an unhealthy amount of time trying to think of which boys best suits our girl.  If you look at the last 3 smashes in YA books, you've got a love triangle with one girl and two boys.  Twilight, Bella has to pick between Jacob and Edward. (I think.  I'm just now reading the first Twilight book.)  Harry Potter, there is only Hermione, surrounded by Harry, Ron, Cedric, Neville, and Viktor Crum, even.  This makes us spend more time focused on the boys of the book and less time on the girls.

How do you feel about boys in books?  Do you find yourself liking books with strong guys more often strong female characters?  Or is this post totally off base?  What are some of your favorite female characters?  Maybe I'll see if I like them as much as I find myself liking the men of literature.

Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I like books with strong guys more than strong girls. I do know that guys are definitely sooo much better in books. Favorite female characters:
    -Dame Imraldera (Tales of Goldstone Wood)
    -Una (Goldstone Wood)
    -Sophie (Howl's Moving Castle)
    -Bramble (Entwined)
    -Antoinette (The Door Within)
    -Vrell Sparrow (Blood of Kings trilogy)
    Those are just some that I thought up off the top of my head. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though a lot of my favorite characters are guys . . . I'm not sure how many of the characters in that list would make my "Overall Favorite Character" list . . . which doesn't exist and never will because I love too many characters and which ones I like best will vary with my moods.

      Also, that video is so very true.

      Delete
  2. I've never really thought about it till now, but it's very true! Now that I'm thinking about it, I really do like reading about boys too. Also, Ally Carter is probably my favorite author ever, so I'm really glad you mentioned Hale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!! Luca in the River of Time series is my favorite character ever. Sarah, you had to release our secret? *funny sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm, yes. Yes, yes, yes.

    - Tabby

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.