Thursday, February 6, 2014

Five Star January Reads

I would really like to get back to writing some blog posts centered around the things that started it all: books.  I've tried a lot of different things in the past, including Book Reviews, What I'm Reading Wednesdays, and 6 Word Book Reviews.  None of those posts have really worked for me. I really struggle to write and read book reviews, and I stopped posting on Wednesday.  What I'm Reading Thursday just doesn't have that nice ring to it.

So instead, I decided to just give a few recommendations at the beginning or end of every month. So without further ado, here are some of the five star books I read in January.

Buy on Amazon
Mark To-Read on Goodreads
Wake by Lisa McMann
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old.
She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.

I found Wake original.  I really loved Janie.  I've said it before, but I'm really a huge fan of the tortured hero.  And Cabel, the boy?  Together, the pair are about as tortured as you get in what I would call Urban Fantasy.  Definitely worth the read and its five stars.

Buy on Amazon
Mark as To-Read on Goodreads
Unsouled by Neal Shusterman
Connor and Lev are on the run after the destruction of the Graveyard, the last safe haven for AWOL Unwinds. But for the first time, they’re not just running away from something. This time, they’re running toward answers, in the form of a woman Proactive Citizenry has tried to erase from history itself. If they can find her, and learn why the shadowy figures behind unwinding are so afraid of her, they may discover the key to bringing down unwinding forever.
Cam, the rewound boy, is plotting to take down the organization that created him. Because he knows that if he can bring Proactive Citizenry to its knees, it will show Risa how he truly feels about her. And without Risa, Cam is having trouble remembering what it feels like to be human.
With the Juvenile Authority and vindictive parts pirates hunting them, the paths of Connor, Lev, Cam, and Risa will converge explosively;and everyone will be changed.
I have been a fan of this series since its start with Unwind.  It's a powerful story.  As a teen growing up in a world that I feel is devaluing human life more and more, this book speaks to me.  I highly recommend it to anyone 15 and older.  I love how this book uses the dystopian genre to explore our world today.  It's a very powerful and thought provoking read.

Buy on Amazon
Mark To-Read on Goodreads
Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom.
Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.
Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another.
Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.

This is exactly my kind of book.  It's got magic and weapons, court and intrigue.  I read it in two days, staying up until 1:00 AM and the waking up at 8:00 AM and diving right back into it.  As much as I loved Rae Carson's Girl of Fire and Thorns, I think I liked Throne of Glass even more.  I loved the main character so much more than Elsa of Fire and Thorns.  I highly recommend this book to lovers of high fantasy books like  Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder, Crown and Court Duel by Sherwood Smith, Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson, or Soulbound by Heather Brewer.

And that wraps up my recommendations of the books I read in January.  What were the best books you read in January?  Have you read any of my five star books?  What did you think of them?

Happy reading!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah:) :)

    I just stumbled across your blog... I love it! Those books sound so interesting... Ill have to read them sometime. :D

    ~Sarah Shaw
    cutecombinations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of those. But the last one, Throne of Glass, sounds right up my alley -That's a bit cliché- hmmm. I'll have to work on that one. haha ;)

    Is Throne of Glass in a series or a stand alone?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.