Thursday, February 27, 2014

Top 10 Most Influential Books

If you've been paying attention to my blogging habits lately, you might have noticed an increase in the number of the embedded YouTube videos in my post.  That's because the world of YouTube has sucked me in.  After a few weeks of watching basically all the top twenty vloggers in the YouTube community, I realized that I was spending more time on YouTube than the rest of my laptop time combined.  I decided that if I was going to spend that much time on YouTube, it should at least be in dedication of diving deeper into the world of books.


I unsubscribed from a lot of popular vloggers and went and found myself a great community of BookTubers.  So I've been spending a lot of time in this kind of sort of world of book blogging, and I saw a tag I really wanted to do.

Ready for this?  Great!

The following are my top 10 most influential books to date.  I think I might do this post every other year to see what's changed.

10. Magnus by Sigmund Brouwer
For a very long time, this was the only Christian fiction I liked.  It was the first Christian fiction book I read and also one of the first high fantasy.  I think it shaped a lot of my taste in fiction.

9. Miracle on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorenson
I don't know what it is with this book, but I just think of it fondly.  It's one of those books that I kept coming back to.  Its also the first (longish) book I remember reading in one sitting.  (Okay, my mom read it to me, but still.)

8. Heist Society by Ally Carter
I absolutely loved this book.  For me, it showed that solid, clean writing could still sell will in YA without being rated practically R.

7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
For a long time, this was the only 'adult' classic I liked.  I like a few others now, but I'm still a big fan of this book.  It made me think more than most others put together.

6. The School Story by Andrew Clements
I think this was the book that really made me think about writing.  It made publishing a book seem easy, fun, and doable, even for a fourth grader like me.  (That's how old I was when I read it.)


5. Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson
I read this book very soon after I started studying the draft of writing.  This single book taught me more about this mysterious 'voice' that we hear about in writing books and on blogs than every other article and book on voice I've ever read.

4. Dealing with Dragons by Patrica C. Wrede
This is the first book I remember reading by myself that wasn't Henry and Mudge or Flicka, Ricka, Dicka.  My sister loaned it to me and I read and re-read it over and over.  That paperback copy in my room has seen more falls from trees, long boring car trips, and splashes of milk as it hit my cereal than any one book deserves.

3. Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'engle
This was a book that really made me think.  I was only a third grader when I read it, and it was the first novel I read in a day.  I think that marked my transformation into a fully fledged book worm.

2. Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise McGraw
This was the first YA book I read.  It was also the only historical fiction I liked for a very long time.  This book, I think, first got me interested in spies, intrigue, and thoroughly romantic books whose main plot wasn't the romance.  All in all, a very wonderful book!

1. The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
You guys have probably heard me sing the praised of The Thief more than you ever wanted to, but for me, this is the most well written series ever crafted.  It taught me so much, first as a reader, then a learned, then a writer.  The author put so much work into the words of this book that every time I read it, I find a new little gem tucked away in the prose or dialog.  I think this book shaped my taste in reading and writing almost single-handedly.

So there you go, the top 10 most influential books in the life of Sarah Faulkner. Anyone who would like to is welcome to do this tag, but I will tag:

TW Wright
Brooke Faulkner
Emily Rachelle
Hannah

If you guys want to do the tag, feel welcome.  Either way, let me know 2 or 3 of the most influential (fiction) books in your life.

Thanks for reading and have a great week!


19 comments:

  1. I've only read a few of these books... I *love* "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Miracle on Maple Hill" was my favorite for about a year. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Kill A Mockingbird really is such a great book, isn't it!
      Thanks for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read a bunch of these... I'm going to do the tag, but two books for me would be Band of Sisters by Cathy Cohlke and Captive Treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, who are some book youtubers you recommend?

      Delete
    2. I'm a fan of PolandBananasBooks, Ariel Bissett, and JesseTheReader. I don't think I've read either of those two books you mentioned.
      Thanks for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
    3. I remember the Captive Treasure! That one was one of my first books, and I really enjoyed it too. More for younger readers (large print) but a great story anyway.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for tagging me!! =)
    I love The School Story! I read it more than once a year still. I don't care how old I am, I love it. =)

    TW Wright
    ravensandwriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes I still pick up The School Story for a quick read when I don't want to be distracted for too long. All Andrew Clement's books are great!
      Thanks for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  4. Never been tagged before! Thanks!! :)

    I haven't read any of those except for A Wrinkle In Time. I loved that one. And thanks for reminding me, I wanted to get the next books in the series.

    I also love The River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren, Dragon Keeper series by Donita K. Paul, and The Tutor's Daughter by Julie Klassen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think tags are almost always fun. And I loved The Dragon Keeper Series too!
      Thanks for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  5. Nice list! Dealing With Dragons was I think the first fantasy I read and I loved it. I've read the whole series at least twice. I've also read Mara, Daughter of the Nile and To Kill a Mockingbird, and loved them both.

    Other books that have influenced me are the Trixie Belden books, Harry Potter, and Mistborn.

    Bethany tagged me, so il have my own top ten list soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Mistborn. Is that by Brandon Sanderson? The Trixie Belden books were good too, when I was younger and consuming large amounts of pages daily. :)
      ~Sarah

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is. It's an epic fantasy for adults, so the content is more mature. (Lots of blood and a couple of inappropriate scenes, but nothing very graphic.) But the story and characters are wonderful.

      Delete
    3. I've been wanting to read a more serious book by Brandon Sanderson. I'll definitely think about Mistborn, although I tend to like high fantasy more than epic fantasy.

      Delete
  6. There are so many books that contributed to my early reading. Listening for Lions was a very good book that partially takes place in Africa I think and partially in England, and it deserves to be a classic. Now that I think of it... I really want to read it again. It reminded me just a little bit of the Secret Garden, but it's got more plot to it.
    Hard Times by Charles Dickens (one of his easier to read books) and Jane Eyre were the first two books I read that were written in the 1800s, and they influenced me a lot too. Okay. Yes. I'll do this. (:

    http://emilynwriter4christ.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Listening for Lions, but it sounds good. I have radio dramas of Anne of Green Gables, Little Woman, and The Secret Garden, and I think they all influenced me.
      Can't wait to see your tag, and thanks for commenting.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  7. THANK YOU. Other than the people who introduced me to it, i don't think i've never met anyone else who has read Alcatraz. You made me so happy THANK YOU!!!
    and I saw your post from who knows how long ago saying how Alcatraz annoyed you because we never got to the scene where he's getting sacrificed. Well, my friend emailed him a while back and in his reply, he said he wanted to write the next one, but his publishers were being stoopid (hee hee) and wouldn't let him. His plan was to re-release them through another publisher with less-lame covers. He has, however, been working on a TON of other books, so i guess he hasn't gotten around to it. Just thought I'd let you know.
    And one more thing…you're awesome. Seriously you're so cool. And I'm still waiting for Plotting With Frozen with Kristoff…just sayin'. (Sorry, I love Kristoff. Don't want to miss out on whatever genius you had to say about him. :D )

    ReplyDelete
  8. A) This comment made me ridiculously happy!
    B) I would love to see Alcatraz re-released. Sanderson has gotten really popular lately and I think the books would do better now.
    C) You seem pretty awesome too! Do you have a blog?
    D) I know I talked about doing a Part 3 of Plotting With Frozen. Now that I know you're interested, I'll try to write one up. I want to do a Plotting with Prince Hans, too. We'll just have to see.

    I'm really glad you commented. :)
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh! So much nostalgia in this post! I remember my mom reading The School Story to me when I was little, and it really made my little 3rd-5th (I don't remember which grade) grade brain understand publishing a little better. And A Wrinkle in Time was one of the first books that I actually read all the way through that wasn't an American Girl book :)

    And by tagging Hannah, do you mean me, Hannah? It's okay if it isn't, there's just so many Hannahs in the blogging world that I need to ask. :/ :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.