Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Illusive Favorite Book

Hey guys!  Sorry this post is up later in the day then usual.  This is what happens when I don't pre-write all my blog posts for the next week over the weekend.  So yeah, sorry.

Neal Gaiman has this quote:
"Picking five favorite books is like picking the five body parts you'd most like not to lose."
This quote sounds beautiful.  I like the idea of it.  However, it doesn't apply to me.  I always feel like some horrible"non-writer" and generally inadequate person when a quote of a famous author doesn't apply to me.

{Buy The Thief on Amazon}
{See The Thief on Goodreads}
Picking a favorite book was never hard for me.  I picked my favorite series, The Queen's Thief by Megan Whalen Turner, and then I ordered the books from most favorite to least favorite.  That left me with The King of Attolia, The Queen of Attolia, The Thief, and Conspiracy of Kings (I don't like the last one as much.)  Therefore, my favorite book was The King of Attolia.  When people ask me what my favorite book is, though, I tend to lie and say The Thief because it's the first book in the series, so people should start there.

It's only when you get to the fifth favorite that I have a bit more trouble.  Because The Queen's Thief books are pure genius.
Let me give you an example.  **This is a spoiler, so if you plan on reading The Thief skip down to the end of the spoiler.**  In the beginning of The Thief, the king's adviser says to the main character, Gen,
"We might one day attain a feeling of mutual respect," he said softly.  First, I thought, I will see the gods walking on earth.  He went on.  "For now I will have your obedience."
This line is on page 10 of the book.  By page 187, Gen has seen the gods walking on earth.  By page 219, these two characters respect each other a lot.  This is just one of the many examples of the genius of the author.  Gems like this make it a blast to read the books over and over, because you learn something different each time.

**End Spoiler**

So for me, the spot of at least top 3 favorite books is taken. And it's not hard for me to put other books into the two remaining slots.  Probably Throne of Glass and Crown of Midnight  by Sarah J. Maas are next on the list.  I really, really, really love the main character, although I must say I saw the plot twist at the end of Crown of Midnight coming even while I was reading Throne of Glass which was a little disappointing.

I say all this to say that I've always felt like a less than amazing reader for knowing my favorite books. I feel like one of those people that has a favorite book because they've only ever read two books, and the other one was for school.  And it's always made me feel a little bit inadequate as a self proclaimed book worm.

What about you?  Do you have a favorite book?  Does having a favorite book make me less of a reader? What are five or ten books that you could never decide between?  Leave a comment and let me know.  Of better yet, write a up a blog post and leave the link to it in the comments.  I love seeing blog posts inspired by my own posts!

Thanks for reading!  See you Monday.


15 comments:

  1. I know my Absolute Favorite Books: The Lord of the Rings. Which book in LOTR I like best? I can't tell you that. But the trilogy takes the top spot. What comes next depends on my mood and what I've read, but at the moment, it's the Tales of Goldstone Wood series. Most of them, anyway. But having a favorite book doesn't make you less of a reader. It just makes you more decisive than most of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely liked Return of the King best, but I have a hard time with the really long writing in those books.
      Thanks for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. The King Of Attolia is my favorite of the series too! I guess I just enjoy all the political intrigue. And it has an awesome plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've actually read them?! Most people haven't even heard of them. My favorite part was the political intrigue too.
      Thanks for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  3. My favorite book series is the Auralia Thread by Jeffrey Overstreet. I don't think it makes me less of a reader. I've read at least almost 700 books according to goodreads. That book series is just so good! I love each of the books pretty equally, even though I end up rereading the first one the most.
    When anyone asks me what my favorite book is, I say the first one, "Auralia's Colors."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that series. What's it about?
      Thanks for reading!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  4. Hey Sarah, I did the post option over at my blog teenwordsofsteel.blogspot.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have The Thief on hold at the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is seriously amazing, although there is a little foul language.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  6. My point of view isn't the most famous perspective in the world , but I don't think having a favorite book makes you less of a book worm. I have favorite books, the ones that touched my heart like no others have, and still consider myself a book worm. Some of my favorites are Anne Elisabeth Stengl's "The Tales of Goldstone Wood." They're probably the most well-written books I've read. Perhaps I haven't read so many books that it's impossible to choose a favorite, but I have a feeling that the ones that are my favorites now would still hold a special place in me even if I had read thousands of tales.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I love that quote at the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Queen's Thief series!! That's one of my favorite series in the whole world. It's so cool to find another blogger who loves them, because they certainly don't get enough recognition. My personal favorite is The Queen of Attolia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just finished reading the King of Attolia for the Umpteenth time. So good!!! Definitely my favorite series, and I would probably order them the exact same way.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.