Monday, July 7, 2014

Fiction Fast

So as I hope you know, I'm a Christian. I go to church twice a week, (although this week is VBS, so I'll be there every day this week but Saturday and twice on Wednesday.) My pastor has been doing a sermon series on Fasting for the last few weeks.  Starting today we have been challenged to give up something for a set period of time in order to use the time we normally spend on that thing, honoring God.

I was challenged to think about things that I prioritize higher than my relationships with God and my family, and the first thing that came to my mind was fiction. I love fiction in all forms, from radio dramas, to TV shows, to, of course, novels. But it's gotten to the point that the thing that I spend time on and thinking about, more than anything, is fiction. If I'm not reading a novel, I'm watching a book review on Booktube, or thinking about character artchtypes, or reading a blog post on how to create the perfect first act for your novel.

While fictitious worlds and stories should be important to me, it's not healthy for me to allow them to be as important as they currently are to me.  For that reason, I've decided to not participate in fiction for the rest of July. I won't be reading books, I won't be writing stories, I won't be watching TV shows, or listening to audio books. I've been doing this fast for less than 24 hours and you wouldn't believe the number of times I've already almost opened the Kindle app on my iPod or itched to scribble down a few character notes.

In addition to fiction, I'm trying to avoid reading things that are nonfiction about fiction, such as writing blogs, book reviews, or writing self help books like Writing the Breakout Novel.  This too has been seriously hard. I've already failed miserably, so it's a good thing this is a less strict part of my fast.

I'm curious to see how much I'll miss fiction in the next few weeks. Will the itch I felt for it now die down after a few days, or will the home-away-from-home sickness grow any worse?  Have you ever put all forms of fiction on hold before? Do you find yourself revolving as much around fiction as I seem to be lately? How did you cope with it?

If you have time tonight, I'm hosting a Twitter Chat tonight at 8:00 PM EDT about BookTubers. I know it's not exactly in line with my fast, but I scheduled it a month ago and had no idea I'd be fasting fiction now.  If you're interesting in chatting with us, you can find more info here: goo.gl/LXjjzM We have a great group of teen readers and writers who know their way beautifully around a twitter chat. We have a wonderful time!

Thanks for reading!


12 comments:

  1. Best of wishes on this challenge (for it is a BIG challenge.) Hopefully, this will help you draw closer to God. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace! I really think it will.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. Oh wow. That's such a tough challenge. Good luck! I've never actually been on a fiction ban, but my parents do require me to read nonfiction on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you allowed to read fiction on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays, or ONLY non-fiction? I read non-fiction often enough during the school year (as long as history books count) but I don't read a lot outside of school. That's starting to change for me.
      Thanks so much for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
    2. Only non-fiction. On the other days, I can read whatever I want. It's a new thing that my parents started at the beginning of the summer. At first I was really reluctant about it, but I'm starting to find some really interesting memoirs to read, so I'm getting to like nonfiction better.

      Delete
  3. I've done the same thing and it is rough but beneficial. I'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's really cool! I hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has certainly been quite the experience so far, that's for sure! Thanks for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  5. This challenge sounds difficult. Good luck, Sarah!

    By the way, not sure if you'll have time to do it, but I awarded you the Sunshine Award: http://coversandink.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the nomination! I'll try to do it some time soon.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  6. Good luck for your challenge. I guess fiction could be too consuming? But I know for personally it's my career so I'm happy immersing myself in it. Hehe. But good on you for putting God first. :)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.