Monday, August 18, 2014

What is a Street Team?

A little over a year ago I signed up for something, and then completely forgot about it until a few weeks later, then an author emailed me with an offer that would ensure me more than a few free e-books.  Maybe you know what I'm talking about, but I sure didn't until a year ago!


A street team is a group of people you recruit to help you spread the word about your novel. Ideally your team would be bloggers or vloggers, and also active on Twitter and Goodreads.

So here's how it works.

1. You recruit people.
2. You give them free books.
3. They help you promote your book by writing reviews, blogging about your book, and tweeting about you and any giveaways you're hosting.

Street teams are a great resource to have, especially if you're self-publishing or using an independent publisher with limited promotion opportunities.

Here are some things I would stress when looking for street teams or thinking about applying to a street team.
  • Pick your members wisely [Apply to a street team wisely]
When picking street team members, browse their Goodreads shelves, see what they say about books similar to you on their blog.
When applying to a street team, take the time to read about the author and make sure you will love the book you are offering to promote.
Remember, quality over quantity. It's better to be a devoted member on two street teams, than an inefficient member on seven. Just like it would be better to have four great street teem members than twelve mediocre ones.
  • Communicate the Time Commitment [Make sure you understand the time commitment]
Are you looking for street team members who will promote you as an author, your stand alone book, or a five-book series?  Communicating the time commitment will really help members understand what they're getting into.
  • Communicate the Work Commitment [Understand the work commitment]
Tell your street team members what you expect from them. Do you want them to mention you in a Tweet once a week?  Write reviews for all of the books you send them?  If you communicate what you expect from them before they apply, you'll have happier, better equipped street team members.
  • Ask Your Street Team if it Want to Consider
Sometimes, we readers get sick and tired of reading YA romance disguised as dystopian.  We may have joined your street team when we loved your genre, and now we're ready to move on. Every so often, (I would recommend 4-6 months) ask your street team if they'd like to continue receiving novels from you.  You may lose members, but you'll keep the best ones.

That's all I have for today! Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments!


3 comments:

  1. I've never actively joined a street team. I've been kind of added to a few without them personally asking me. Aaaand...I'm just not active. I mean street teams are awesome and all and I TOTALLY admire people who stick with it and actually do the work. But I get distracted. ;) Plus I feel like I'm beholden to like/review-highly the book....and if I don't, I'd feel awful. Soooo...bit awkward. But I think they're a great idea to get people involved. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm not an author yet, but when I do get published I'll keep these tips in mind. A street team seems like a great way to promote books.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.