Thursday, January 8, 2015

GIFs and Things || Beautiful People Link-Up

Look at this!  Third post this month and it's not even the 10th. You should be so proud of me.
This post is brought to you by Paper Fury and Further Out and Further In.
ALSO, because Cait from Paper Fury uses GIFs and this post is inspired by her, this post may contain GIFs.  And some words in all caps. She's rubbing off on me. Sorry in advance.

Q U E S T I O N S


1. How many years have you been writing? When did you officially consider yourself a ‘writer’?
I've been writing for 5ish years.  I think I considered myself a writer the during 7th grade. That year I took a creative writing class and that's when I began to get involved in the writing community, specifically when I started reading writing craft books and when I started reading writing blogs.

2. How/why did you start writing?
I started writing because I loved the Eragon books and wanted to be as cool as their author, who was 15 when he wrote the first book.

3. What’s your favorite part of writing?
Falling in love with beautiful characters who don't think they're beautiful.


4. What’s your biggest writing struggle?
Climaxes and then editing.  Editing climaxes is basically torture.  I just want to start writing new stories and I CAN'T yet because these other characters need SO much editing.

5. Do you write best at night or day?
My most excited and best writing comes from 9:00AM to 12:00 PM and then again from 7:00 PM to 10:30 PM.

6. What does your writing space look like?
It's a couch in my living room.  From it I can see the piano, fireplace, staircase, and some horses if I look out the window.  It also happens to be the second best room in the house for hearing every conversation in the house. (Don't tell me family I said that.)

7. How long does it typically take you to write a complete draft?
My record for a first draft is six months.  I have yet to complete a Macro Edit aka second draft.


8. How many projects do you work on at once?
ONE!  Though I might be plotting one novel while drafting another.

9. Do you prefer writing happy endings, sad ones, or somewhere in between?
<-- Does this answer your question?


10. List a few authors who’ve influenced your writing journey.
Cara Putman, Stephanie Morrill, Megan Whalen Turner, Christopher Paolini, John Flanagan, Sarah J Maas (most recently) and every other author I've ever read.

11. Do you let people read your writing? Why or why not?
Not really, because I'm bad at editing and don't want anyone to see my less that perfect first and second drafts.

12. What’s your ultimate writing goal or dream?
To be JK Rowling.  But seriously, to be published as a teen, be well loved as an author, and to help other young writers fulfill their dreams too.


13. If you didn’t write, what would you want to do?
I would either find a way to monetize reading novels, or I'd become Olivia Pope.

14. Do you have a book you’d like to write one day but don’t feel you’re ready to attempt it yet?
Yes. I'll talk most about it in the last question.

How I feel when I think about VC
15. Which story has your heart and won’t let go?
I'm in love this story seed. We'll call it VC.  This story is basically Harry Potter meets the TV show Leverage or the Lies of Locke Lamora.  Sadly, to tell this story the way it deserves to be told, I'd need to write 7 books and 21 short stories.  I'm not in a place in life to commit to something like this.  But I love this story.  I've written random scenes from random books. I have the 6 MC's names (DID I MENTION THERE ARE 6 MAIN CHARACTERS?) written on notecards and tacked to my bulletin board.  I am in love with this idea, but I'm not ready to write it yet.

That's all I've got for the post!  Thanks for reading.

If you want to answer some of the questions for yourself, leave your answers in the comments section.  Or if you wrote a Beautiful People post this month, leave the link below and I'll read it!


This GIF has no purpose. I just wanted to use it.

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Hannah! I'm pretty unused to working with GIFs and I'm glad you liked them.
      Thanks for reading!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. Great post! I liked your answers and the gifs. :)
    I look forward to the day you decide you're ready to write the series you mentioned in that last answer. It sounds amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Sarah! Who knows. Maybe I'll keep the GIFs. And that series will be written some day, just not now. Probably not until I've sought publication for all the novel's I've already written. And I won't seek publication until I finish editing them. And we all know how I feel about editing.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  3. Your 7-book series sounds glorious and you WILL write it. PLEASE PLEASE!
    Yes Cait is rubbing off on me too;)) she has a habit of doing that!!

    www.curiousramblingsbychloeblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chloe! Thank you for stopping by Inklined! I will write that series someday. It has too strong a hold on my heart for me to let it go. I'm just not prepared to start writing it yet.
      Thank you for commenting, and I hope you come back sometime!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  4. I loved the GIFs! The books in question 15 sounds interesting!!

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! I'm glad you liked the GIFs. I'm thinking about keeping them.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  5. I've been writing my whole life, but like you, I think I really started getting serious about writing in 7th grade. Editing is really difficult for me as well. I just began editing one of my novels for the first time and it's been difficult, but a lot of fun as well. Ooh, I hope you feel ready to write the 7-book series soon. It seems like a wonderful series. I recently got a new novel idea that I am completely in love with, and have started plotting, but first I have to finish the first draft of the novel I'm currently working on. My dream is also to get published as a teen. I'm not sure that this will work out, but I have about four years, and I'm working towards it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support on the 7 book series! I will write it someday *in Aragon voice* But today is not that day. :) I hope you get that reference. Otherwise, we might not be able to be friends.
      It's nice to know I'm not the only one who really struggles with editing. But it's kind of important in the writing world, so we will have to struggle on together.
      Thanks for reading!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  6. Awk, my gosh. 7 books and 21 novellas?! I can understand why you're not ready to attempt this one yet! HEH. That's amazing, though, and I do hope you get to eventually. ;-) Macro editing is hard but soooo rewarding. It's the BEST feeling ever to have a book you're "finished" with. Well, okay, fine. finished enough to send to betas, because what book-that's-not-published is ever finished?!

    I AM CONTAGIOUS. I AM LIKE AN ALL CAP AND GIF LOVING CONTAGION. WATCH OUT. MWAH HA HA HA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now really tempted to create a photo representation of your personality that is just a bunch of books, GIFs, and things in ALL CAPS. It would be very accurate. Thank you for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  7. "Falling in love with beautiful characters who don't think they're beautiful." Um, YES. You understand my soul, friend.

    Okay, story time: my CP is writing this asdfghjkl; gorgeous novel, but the two MCs are basically psychopaths who... sort of fall in love with each other and it's like ARGH I SHOULD NOT LOVE THESE CHARACTERS BUT SOMEHOW I DO. (They are beautiful in a twisted sort of way. Yeah, I don't even know, man.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! One of my favorite series is Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas! The MC in that is SO great, but she has no idea. I would have to say she's my favorite female character ever!
      Thank you for reading!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  8. Looove your answer to #3. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so, Julia! And thanks for reading.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  9. Six main characters? I would say that's a lot but then I'd be one to talk, lol. One of my long-time WIPs had over ten. Too many to count. It was exhausting, but it allowed me to know my characters that much better. :P

    I usually write bitter-sweet endings, but sometimes, just to see what how I feel about it, I write super depressing ones and make my sister read it. (I made her cry once. I was very proud.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over 10 Main Characters? As in, the story is about all 10 of them? Or do you just tell the story from all of their point of views a few times?
      I also prefer bitter-sweet endings. Not everything can turn out peachy, but I don't write tragedies either.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  10. Incidentally, my own answer to 15 is a seven book series with quite a bit of spin-off material. Except I have the first book written (and scheduled for release this summer) and one of the short stories published.

    Anyways, here's my own answers to the questions ... except that one of my characters barged in and insisted on answering them for me. I wasn't that surprised. She's been doing more and more of that in the last few months.

    http://knittedbygodsplan.blogspot.com/2015/01/beautiful-people-kendra-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Kendra! I'm going to head over to your blog right now and check out your post!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  11. Wow, six main characters?! I definitely wouldn't be able to deal with that kind of commitment, either! Still, it's definitely cool to hear your writing story, and I am glad to have read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. The series has such a hold on my heart that I know I'll get to it eventually, but probably not until I'm rich and famous. *read: not until I have a real job and have sold a book or two*
      Thank you for visiting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  12. I loved your answer to #3. :3 you're pretty lucky that you know when you write best. I feel like it changes - although generally I am more motivated in the dead of night or early in the morning... basically, when nobody else is around to disturb me or annoy me. Aw, I've never heard of your insp. authors. I'm gonna have to check them out. Although, Paolini wrote Eragon, right? (I tried to read it a long time ago but couldn't get into it.)

    "The Lies of Locke Lamora" - !! This is on my TBR! I've wanted to read it since last July. Anyway, great post. I will post my own link-up... eventually... after I finish tidying up my reading challenges, heh. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am blessed to be able to go to my room or my parents and not be bothered by other people for many hours. Paolini did write Eragon! And I can understand not getting into it. It has it's slow parts.

    The Lies of Locke Lamora is really good, although it has it's mature parts, which makes it hard for me to recommend it to anyone.
    Anyway, thank you for reading and commenting! If you write a link-up post, I'd love to read it!
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! Loving the GIFS. (Cait is rubbing off on me too...It's only a matter of time before I use them on occasion too...) #6 really made me laugh. Don't you love it when you can just hear everyone for a certain point of the house?? and as for #7 Good on you! I love it when you can write drafts somewhat quickly then move on to the next step!

    and I squealed when I Stephanie Morrill's name! She is so amazing! :D

    (Oh and thanks for stopping by my blog too ;) )

    ~Adriana G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie is my hero! Drafts that I write in six months could really be done it two. Basically, I write 50K for NaNoWriMo, and then don't look at the story again until April, when I write another 30-50K and finish the novel out. If I was more diligent, I could get a lot more done.
      Thank you for stopping by my blog!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  15. Okay, that last question? I NEED THE THING. IT SOUNDS AMAZING. AND EPIC. AND ALL THE WORDS WITH THAT MEANING. *flails* This is great. I love the gifs! And your writing spot sounds lovely, haha.

    Aimee @ To the Barricade!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, that's a great answer for #3. I love it! :) (Have you ever read Eleanor & Park? Eleanor fits the beautiful-character-who-doesn't-think-she's-beautiful type perfectly.)

    Whoa, those are seriously specific times! My best times come so randomly, I couldn't document them if I tried. :P Good for you for figuring it out!

    LOL, sometimes my family will have conversations around the dinner table, and I'll be extra quiet and just sort of observe and mentally write things down in my head. Eventually they notice and get weird looks on their faces and say, "You're putting this in your book, aren't you?" That's when I mask my mischief with a smile and a shrug and say, "Maybe . . ."

    A "Supernatural" gif to describe your endings?! One of DEAN CRYING?! I'm scared and sad for your characters. o.o

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.