Monday, January 5, 2015

In 2015, I Will

For the last two years, I've made lists of things I want to accomplish that year.  Here's a review of what I wanted to do in 2014. The crossed out items are things I did.

In 2014, I did
Finish my NaNo Novel First Draft (I worked a lot on it, it's about 80K, but I have no motivation right now)
Win a NaNoWriMo (I won April's Camp NaNo)
Edit my first novel (It's not done being edited, but I have done a lot of work on it)
Win a Go Teen Writers 100-for-100 contest (Yeah . . .  I quit 30 days in.)
Do major revisions on another novel (I began major revisions, but haven't finished them)
Reach 100 Blog followers (89, at time of post)
Reach 100 Twitter followers (61, at time of post)
Host a monthly Twitter Chat (Click here for more info)
Write at least 1K a week (That did not happen. I think I wrote about 40K this year)
Read 50 books, about 4 a month (I finished 45 book in 2014)
Query literary agents with at least one project
Publish at least 250 blog posts (That post was #160)
Read at least one craft book (I read more than one writing book last year!)


Now here are some of my goals for 2015

In 2015, I will
Get my MG Sci-Fi to Critique Partners
Not start another first draft until I've submitted a project to an agent
Finish critiquing my critique partner's novel
Graduate High School
Start a full time job (just for the summer)
Start college
Do well in college
Continue to host a monthly Twitter Chat (Click here for more info)
Reach 150 blog followers (116, currently)
Reach 250 Twitter followers (196, currently)
Read 50 books, about 1 a week
Reach at least 275 published blog posts (This post is #210)
Reach 500 followers on Pinterest (484 currently)


Those are the goals I have for now.  I would really encourage you to make some kind of list of your own.  I find them really helpful.

What are some of your 2015 goals?  I'd love to know!  Or if you write a similar post, please leave me the link.  This post was inspired by a similar post on Go Teen Writers; go check it out!



18 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm writing an MG sci-fi, too. Well, I'm editing it now. I really want to find a critique partner/group as well once one of my drafts is edited enough for me to be comfortable with sharing it with people. I would also like to begin querying this year, maybe with my latest WIP that is not yet written, a YA Christian fantasy book. I also want to do more magazine writing and write an submit one short piece a month. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest, my MG Sci-Fi is the best thing I've written so far! It was the first time I wrote from a male POV and I LOVED it! Hope your novel is turning out as wonderfully!
      As far as finding a critique group, I would encourage checking out the Go Teen Writers blog and Facebook page. I've found it to be a wonderful resource!
      Happy 2015 and good luck on your goals! Thanks for reading.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. My main writing goal is to self-publish at least two books, a third if I can get the last bit of its content done in time (it will be a big collection of the first three books of my series with some other stuff tossed in, I need to finish the other stuff).

    The first of these books is due in February, and it's basically all set, I'm just running it through a few last editors and waiting for my cousin to send me the full cover art. And I'm organizing a blog tour for it.

    I'm also planning to get the fourth book of this series written, as well as the second book of the series I'm launching in August. Also, I'm co-writing a book with another author, and we're hoping to finish it sometime this year. We sat down and fleshed out a bit of an outline yesterday (we'd caught up to where we'd planned) and we're really excited to get it out to our readers. And if I can get the first book of my Super Hero Boarding School Dystopia written, that would be really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Self-publishing two books in one year seems like SO much. Best of luck on it. Sounds like you have a lot of writing to do this year.
      Thanks for dropping by Inklined!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
    2. I've done it before, two years ago. The trick this year is that I want to make sure I have something substantial to publish next year.

      Delete
  3. Heh. You did better on your 2014 goals than I did on mine. I failed all but two of them. :P Good luck on your 2015 goals!

    I made a goal list but didn't post it on my blog. The highlights:
    -Make and keep monthly writing goals
    -Finish all three of my WIPs
    -Do some kind of meaningful photography at least once a month
    -Get all my English assignments in on time for the rest of the year
    -Finally do something that I've been wanting to do for a long time. (Not going into specifics because I still need to make sure I can work out a few details but yeah.)
    -Start doing Serious Thinking involving college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Look at it from a better angle: You completed TWO of your 2014 goals! That's basically deserving of cake! And some Serious Thinking involving college is always a good thing, as long as it comes in moderation. Good luck with your 2015 goals. May you make at least two of them. :)
      Thanks for commenting.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  4. I've never finished a 100 for 100 either! I always get interrupted. One of these days... I'd love to do Nano sometime too, but the timing just hasn't ever been right. Something I should have done BEFORE kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep meaning to make a list like this... I better do it because before we know it, it will be February.

    Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, there's no law saying goals and to-do lists can only be made in January and December. :) Yours doesn't have to be as long or as specific as mine.
      Thanks for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to enter a 100 for 100...maybe this year! My goal is to finish a book this year, at least a first draft. I'm gonna have to do it someday. The Assassin's Mercy is no as good as I would like, but to come up with another good idea is going to take me *ages*. Perhaps I could finish my last manuscript...hmm, that's a new idea. But I'm far more committed to this one. Cool list, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least for me finishing a first draft for the first time was a huge step! I learned a lot from the experience. Thank you for reading and commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
    2. BTW, do you have a blog? I can't seem to find it.

      Delete
    3. No, not as of yet :). But I'm thinking of coming up with one soon.

      Delete
  7. HUZZAHF OR GOOD GOALS! And best of luck for submitting to agents! Eep. It's nerve-wracking but glorious! I kind of always feel tempted to do the 100x100 but then...*hides* I prefer to write in big spurts and have long breaks than consistently writing small bits. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some part of me feels like you're not a career seeking writer until an agent or publisher has rejected you. You can write 10K in a day. That's how much you write in the 100 days of the 100for100 contest. If I could write that much in a day, I probably wouldn't try the 100for100 either.
      Thanks for reading!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had a good year. :) Good luck in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a decent year, although most of my writing was done in spring and summer of 2014. I've done almost nothing writing-related this school year.
      Thank you for commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.