Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday || TBR Books of 2014 I Didn't Read

Link-Up hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
So I've seen this link-up lots of places, but I think I've only done it once before. But in the spirit of posting more in 2015, here's the Top Ten 2014 Releases I Meant To Read But Didn't Get To.

*fair warning, I did not read nearly all the books I wanted to last year.  some of the books contained on this list may shock viewers. discretion advised.*


Bonus: 11. The Treatment by Suzanne Young
I received an ARC of book 1 in this series what seems like 3 years ago.  Maybe it was 3 years ago, because when I sat down to read The Treatment, remembered absolutely nothing of book 1.  It quickly got tossed aside, never to be picked up again.  I doubt I'll return to the series, but since I own book 1, it's not impossible.

10. Defy by Sara B. Larson
I don't know why, but somehow I heard about this book and decided I'd love it. I went so far as subscribing to the author's blog and following the author on Twitter before the book even released.  Then I read the first few pages and decided I'd rather marathon Scandel, because guys, Olivia Pope.  So yeah. Don't see myself returning to this novel.

9. To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
I heard about this book on BookTube.  I think I've read another Jenny Han book, and I liked it well enough.  I liked the title of this book. For some reason it reminded me of The Boyfriend List and 13 Little Blue Envelops, both stories I enjoyed.  I never started this book, but If I get it from the library in the next few months, I could see myself reading it.



8. #scandal by Sarah Ockler
I think maybe Cait at Paper Fury mentioned this book?  I heard about it somehow, but never saw it at my library, so I haven't started it yet.  (Also, currently the people at my library hate me because I have their books and have not given them back.  So I haven't been there in a while.)

7. Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
Guys, Anne and the French Kiss was one of the first YA romance books I actually liked.  I feel like I just have to see this series to completion.  *repeats mantra* I will read this soon. I will read this soon.*

6. Graduation Day by Joelle Charbonneau
Book 1 was great.  Book 2 was, well, fine.  Just not fine enough to  inspire me to go searching for book 3.  If it had showed up on my bookshelf, I would have read it.  But since the TBR faeries didn't see fit to hide it under my pillow, I haven't read it.



5. Undivided by Neal Shusterman
I actually didn't even realize this book was out until I started writing this blog post. In case you didn't know, Guys! The next Unwide book is out!  This series is one of my all-time favorites and has had a huge impact on me personally.  I will read it post-haste. You should too.

*these are the books you guys might really hate me for*

4. Panic by Lauren Oliver
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I just don't LOVE Lauren Oliver like some people do.  Nevertheless, I thought I would give Panic a shot.  It's a standalone, so not too much commitment. And I've heard great things about it.  So I'll probably keep it on my TBR and see what happens.

3. The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J Maas
As a self-identifying Celaena Sardothien fangirl, I am seriously ashamed of myself for not having read this book.  I feel like I must fail at fangirling.  I read the first short story, but shorts just aren't my thing.  You feel me?  Did you read Assassin's Blade?  If so, how was it?  I'm sure it is worth the read, and I'll get to it sometime in the future.

2. The One by Kiera Cass
I feel like at this point I'd need to go back and read the whole series to fully appreciate this book.  I'm sure it's a great book.  Maybe I'm just sick of dystopian love triangles.  Isn't everyone by now?

1. Cress by Marissa Meyer
I LOVED Cinder, but Scarlet really threw me through a loop. I have a hard time dealing with more than two POV characters, and from what I can remember, Scarlet had three.  I think I was worried Cress would have four or more, and I just wouldn't enjoy that very much.  If the TBR faeries gave my the whole series so far, I might marathon them.  Otherwise, I just don't see myself finishing it.

That's it for the linkup.  BUT

Four things before  you go!

Uno)  Please don't throw things at me for having not read these books.  I thought I would.  I honestly thought I would!

Dos) Let's make TBR faeries a thing. For realzies. If one of you is an artist, I want TBR faerie art!  *it would honest to goodnessly make my month*

Tres) They'll be another post on Thrusday. It's all polished (LOL I almost typed Polish[I should go to bed]) and ready to go!  Come back for it.  It'll be good.

Cuatro) I'm taking two college courses this semester, Chemistry and Spanish.  So you can expect shorter posts, but with a higher Español to English ratio.

Thanks for reading!  What are some books that you looked over in 2014?  Are you going to read them now? And if you did the link-up too, feel free to leave your link in the comments.


8 comments:

  1. Heh. I should've done this list . . . guess there's still time, but I have other posts I need to write.
    Most of the books on your list weren't even on mine. But you should totally read Cress. It does have 4+ POVs . . . there's Cinder, Kai, Cress, and Thorne as more-or-less regulars, with a few chapters from Scarlet, Dr. Erland, and Levana. It's still really good, though. And The One was good as well, though I agree- I am getting tired of dystopian love triangles, which is why I have yet to finish the Matched trilogy. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. *throws Cress at you even though you said not to throw things* I actually liked Scarlet even more than Cinder. Cress was also absolutely amazing, and now I can't wait for Fairest and Winter. Also, I really want to read the Throne of Glass series. It seems awesome.

    I can't wait for your post on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Throne of Glass" is a book I'd like to get to this year. I'm glad to see you like it, because I've seen reviews that make what looks like a good book sound like a bad book. Maybe I'll get a hold of it soon...
    I really liked "Cress!" It does have quite a few POV's (which I actually like), but the story is pretty good. I think you should give it a try. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of the books you listed, but I have been meaning to get some of them- I just never get around to it. Hence TBR I guess xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Lunar Chronicles is high on my tbr list this year :-D I can't wait to read it and I hope you enjoy the other books!!
    I also want to read all of Jenny Han's books!
    I hope you get a chance to read some of these soon :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl I can so relate to some of these. I bought four of the TOG novellas BEFORE Crown of Midnight came out, so they've been sitting in my Kindle, unread for years. And then she went out and released Assassin's Blade which has five novellas. Sigh. The four I own are top of my TBR pile for 2015

    I also haven't read The Lunar Chronicles. Been meaning to for ages, but haven't gotten to it yet. Also high on my TBR list.

    I did finally read The Selection last summer. The love triangle did throw me off a bit, but I like the worldbuilding and I want to know what happened next.

    Totally agree about TBR fairy art! That would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of the Assassin's Blade, but it's a must-read. I too am writing an assassin story, called the Assassin's Mercy, so that's definitely on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read 3 of these so I'm not doing that much better than you. ;-) SHAME ON US. lol No! Life gets too busy to squeeze in all the books we want to right?! I kind of want to try To All the Boys I've Loved Before even though I'm not a huge chick-flick fan just because diversity! Yay! And I also want to read all the Neal Shusterman books. I rated Unwind like 5-stars but I never got to the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.