Monday, April 13, 2015

777 Tag from Ink Castles: My Novel Excerpts

Hi guys! Skye from over at Ink Castles tagged me in the 777 tag. Here's how this tag works. You go to your WIP. Go to page 7. Find the seventh line on the page, and post seven sentences.  I'm so glad Skye tagged me, because if she hadn't, I probably would have done it anyway.

I've decided I want to do this the fun way, though. So I will be coming excerpts from all the novels I've ever written (3 & 3/4.)

Novel 1: High Fantasy about Rebellion
Dear Zeldea,
This is my daughter.  I would keep her if I could.  I heard about your own exciting news.  Congratulations.   I hope you will enjoy motherhood as much as I have these past few days. 
I have a request of you, Zeldea.  I am asking something huge from you, but I hope you will forgive me.  

This is a snippet of a letter that plays a very important part in the story. (Although I think the letter will be cut in a later draft, or at the very least, heavily rewritten.) This is the first novel I wrote.

Novel 2: Sequel to Novel 1
White light burst out of my hand to blind me for an instant before dissipating. I blinked a few times before trying again and getting a sphere of soft light.
It illuminated Jammeand rubbing his eyes with both hands. “You must really have it in for my vision.”
“Sorry,” I said.
Jammeand waved a hand and blinked a few times. “Your mother used to do the same thing.”

Let it be known that Jammeand is my favorite character I've ever crafted. If I have to kill him off one day, part of my soul will die with him. This novel is 98K and was written during November NaNoWriMo and April Camp NaNoWriMo 2012-2013.

Novel 3: Middle Grade Sci-Fi about Space Cadet

"Who . . ." He started again. "Who are you? What planet are you from?"

She tilted her head. "My name is Sandra Lettensong. I was originally from a small planet in the Beta 2 quadrant, but that planet was evacuated before you were born, so I doubt you’d have heard of it. I've been saddled with the unfortunate task of training you through your last year at the academy."

This is perfect, because it's a great summery of what my novel is about, and it sums up Sandra's personality so wonderfully. I wrote this novel kind of while writing the sequel to Novel 1, and I think it's the best first draft novel I wrote. The plot and characters are much stronger than in my previous two novels. I finished this novel in July of 2013.

Novel 4ish: High Fantasy set in Greece about Loyalty
“It is the decision of this court that Mr. . .” Clement looked at the thief.
“Gemmi,” the man whispered.
“Mr. Gemmi is guilty of the theft of fourteen chickens from Sergeant . . .” he paused again and looked to the former sergeant.
“Sergeant Havrold Carlice, Your Lordship.”
“Sergeant Havrold Carlice. As such, Mr. Gemmi must pay Sergeant Carlice two times the monetary value of the goods stolen. He shall also be held for sixty days in the Duke’s dungeon. 

Of all the excerpts I've shown today, this is the least representative of the story. Clement is the main character, the son of a senator. He blames his father for the death of his mother, and hates the plans his father has for him. This novel was written during November NaNoWriMo of 2013 and April Camp NaNo of 2014. It is incomplete at 83,000 words, because I'm not sure how to get from the plot twist at the end of the middle to the climax.

Which excerpt did you like the most? Which novel should I focus my attention on for the time being?  Leave a comment and let me know. If you want to do your own 777 post, consider yourself tagged.
Thanks for reading!


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! You should write one of your own up!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  2. I like your 3rd novel best! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the 3rd excerpt fits the novel the best! It's the first conversation between the lead character and the character that causes the most tension in the novel. I'm glad you like it.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  3. I think the second was my favorite of the excerpts. They're all good, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's good to hear some encouragement about that novel. I think it's my least favorite of the 4. The idea of continuing to work on it is extremely intimidating. Thank you for the encouragement!

      ~Sarah Faulkner
      Inklined

      Delete
  4. Thank's for doing the tag! I like the third novel best, love a good sci fi. I am a high fantasy lover too though. So it was a tough decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! I'm so glad you tagged me! Thank you for reading my excerpts.
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  5. What a fun tag! I think the excerpt of the letter was the most intriguing—it has me asking all sorts of questions about the situation Zeldea and her correspondent are in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying so, Heather. Zeldea's past is very interesting to me as well. I must say that I haven't figured everything out about her.
      Thank you for reading and commenting!
      ~Sarah

      Delete
  6. This is such a neat, unique tag! Loved all the excerpts, dear, and I want to read more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do the tag, Hannah! I haven't read any of your writing for a long time! I'm so glad you liked the excerpts. It's always a great feeling for others to read and enjoy your work.
      ~Sarah

      Delete

Comments are awesome, rudeness is not. 'Nough said.